Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new Heddgie owner and have a few cage questions for someone who is a lot more experienced. I got Reggie when he was a baby and bought a cage for him that is pretty small compared to my HUGE ferret cage thinking he wouldn't get THAT big. Now he is growing and I am now realizing that he is a little big for his small cage. He loves to run around.... A LOT. He sometimes wakes me up at night. I obviously need a wheel but there isn't much room for one. He has to have his oversized igloo in there because he only poops when he is under or in something (don't ask me I always end up with the funny animals) So my needs for the cage is: Running space, Wheel Space, and a covered area for him to use as his bathroom. I know that plastic bins are what most people use but I was hoping for something more like a cage and I can't lift an aquarium by myself. Please Help :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
the sterlite totes are what we use, very easy to maintain. and you also dont have top worry about broken legs or other injuries associated with climbing the bars.....you can also do a c&c cage which is what we are about to switch to. you can go on google and type diy c&c cage and the first link will show you how to build one, these are very customizable since you build it yourself. just be sure to get your little one a wheel a.s.a.p. so he can get the necesarry exercise. just out of curiosity, what are you currently feeding your hedgie? and also the wheel will likely serve as his potty, both in it while running and behind it when not running. be sure that the wheel is a solid bottom and get at least a 11 or 12 inch one.

Chad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been waiting to get a wheel for a bigger cage, but he is in his hampster ball for hours almost daily (and loves it) he just wants attention more then anything at night when I am sleeping. I feed him a couple things. I got a high protien cat food that my vet (who works with small rare animals) recommended but I pair it with ham baby food, meel worms (spell?), he got a little bit of turkey from thanksgiving... really anything that I can think of that has high protien and fiber that I would also give my ferrets ( they have really sensitive stomachs too). I researched a lot on him before I got him so I know what he needs for the most part. I was planning on getting a new cage for my ferrets and giving him a 1/3 of that one but I think it will be too tall for him. I looked at the C&C cages and really liked them I just want to make sure that is the best thing. My other cage question/playtime for him is he REALLY loves to dig ( he gets under the fleece liner and scratches on the cage bottom) what would be a good toy for his cage that would help with that? Thank you by the way for the suggestions.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i usually cut up a bunch of strips and pile them up and that seems to quell doras need to dig. just remember on cages the hedgies love to climb, but it is not good for them. even though they climb up really good, coming down usually involves a thud and some sort of injury. i want to strongly reccomend again that you get a wheel, in the wild hedgies will run up to ten miles at night. as far as the foos goes i would check the dry cat food list in the nutrition forum, ferrets need a higher amount of protein than hedgies,l if you match a hedgies protein intake to what a ferret needs it could lead to fatty liver disease for the hedgie. i usually mix in grape nuts with my cat food mix to allow for the high fiber needs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up making a C&C cage and he loves it. I got him a wheel a while ago and put it in his small cramped cage but he loved that as well. He runs in it for close to 3 hours a night. Thank you everyone for responding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts