Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you remove the second level? or or you planning on using it? If you plan on using it, you will need to enclose the ramp and make a wall to ensure that your hedgie can't fall off of it by accident. Is there enough room for an adequate wheel?

Many people here use CHEs (ceramic heat emitter) its a porcelain heating device that screws into a standard porcelain incandescent socket that doesn't light up, but provides plenty of heat (so as not to disturb them at night when they prefer/need complete darkness, but still need heat).

You will need a lamp (clamp style is popular, 10 inches in diameter, with a 100 w CHE is a great combo).

To ensure that you have the right temperature, you will need a thermometer. Digital are cheap and easy to read (I've seen them for $7 USD at petco).

Also, A thermostat is necessary. There are a variety available. I bought this one http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-1000-Thermostat . The thermostat will ensure that your heating element doesn't overheat the cage (Plug the lamp into the thermostat, and the thermostat into the wall. The thermostat regulates the temperature via a probe you place in the cage)

There are other means of heating, such as a space heater, or heating your whole house, but these actually are more expensive in the long run, as they use much more energy than a CHE does.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have a guinea pig cage like that for Kashi, but it didn't come with a ramp.
I use a CHE that has been zip-tied face down on the top of his cage :) It works wonderfully ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts