Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm preparing to get a hedgehog in the next few weeks...I plan on using a sterilite tote as a cage. My house can get very cold in the winter so I want to make sure that the hedgehog is warm. I have placed some items in my shopping cart to help heat my cage..https://www.drsfostersmith.com/checkout/modify_cart.cfm. are these items compatible? do you recommend something different or that I need to add? I am so out of my element here, PLEASE HELP! =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
maybe screenshot the shopping cart, we can't see it. I was very concerned with keeping my hedgie warm when I first got him as well because my ceilings are very high in my home and it can get chilly but mine seems content with a 24 hour heating lamp on his cage, using a space heater on colder nights.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The CHE bulb (second link) is good, the 100 watt should be fine for both winter & summer. The lamp stand is also fine and would be a good way to suspend the lamp. The snuggle safe isn't necessary, but if you're getting it for when you need to travel or something, I know they're pretty well liked by people who have them.

The lamp isn't rated safe for CHEs though, so that's not what you want. Foster&Smith unfortunately doesn't have them, but Fluker's clamp lamps are popular - Amazon.com: Fluker's 8.5" Repta Clamp Lamp with Switch: Pet Supplies Usually the 10" is recommended (to spread heat out better), but with a plastic tub cage, the 8.5" should be fine, I think.

I would also go with something different for a thermometer - the one you linked is a cheap one and likely to be inaccurate. You want a digital thermometer, preferably with a probe, like this - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+11148+20113+12090&pcatid=12090 I have that one & it's always worked great. You can also find digital thermometers with a probe at stores like Walmart, in the outdoor section, I think.

You also need a thermostat to control the CHE and turn it on and off as needed to keep the temperature steady. They don't have any on F&S, but this is a popular one - Amazon.com: Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt: Pet Supplies

Edit: If you don't want to spend the extra money on the lamp stand, the clamp lamps can be clamped to the side of the tote, but you'll need to reinforce it with zipties or something - the clamp loosens over time and the lamp could fall into the cage (happened to one member). Alternatively, if you have a wire shelf or something like that that you can lay over the bin, you can set the lamp on that. You'd just want to take extra measures to make sure the shelf & lamp won't get bumped & knocked off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts