Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my hedgehog, Poppy, has escaped a couple times from her tub cage. The first time she climbed on top of her igloo and out really easily. The second time she used the (protected) ends of the screws for the water bottle to climb out.

I'm wondering if getting a C & C sort of cage would be better for her?

She's definitely a climber, so I'm worried she might hurt herself trying to climb up the sides, get her foot caught or something. The tub is just not proving to be the easiest thing to work with and I want something with a lid so I won't have to worry about her escaping anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can put a lid on a tote cage. Just use the tote lid, cut out the center, and replace with window screening or wire shelving. A C&C cage wouldn't necessarily be better than a tote cage & still has to be made well & with the proper materials to avoid having her find an opening or weak spot to escape from. If you're looking for a very good, escape-proof cage, you'd be best off with a store-bought cage.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What size were you thinking of? The large size would be best (it's the only one that fits the minimum size recommendations), but medium would be alright for a temporary situation. The small is too small though.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would get the large if you have the space and money. Totes are typically recommended to be temporary situations too, or be expanded by connecting two totes. They're just too small to have what needs to be in the cage in there, plus have some run-around room as well. If you have to get the medium for now, I would make sure you plan on upgrading her in the next few months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question about that then...Do you normally keep these types of cages on the ground? (I have her up on a couple boxes right now due to the fact I will be moving soon.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Its normally recommended to keep them up on something as the floor can be pretty cold especially if you have tile/hardwood. But I'd think if you have carpet it would be okay to put the cage on the floor, but otherwise it's better to be kept on a table, or a stand of some sort.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
In general I think it's a good idea to have most animal cages off the floor, with a few exceptions. Small prey animals would rather see what is coming at them other than a giant pair of legs coming at them and if they stretch reeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy far they might be able to see its a person that may not eat them. If the cage is elevated generally they can look and see if it's a person or the boogie man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts