Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving in about 10 days so I'm starting to plan about Litchi.

I've just been made aware that my Zoo Zone cage isn't adequate, so I want to buy another one. I selected a couple of choice and I want opinions about them.

SuperPet My First Home, Large 30"L x 18"W x 16"H (64$)
SuperPet My First Home, Extra-Large 40.5" x 18" x 20.5" (79$)
Living World XL 39 X 21 X 18 (139$)
I've seen some metal bottom cage with stand and the only afordable one (159$) is 31 X 20 X21

I think the living Word is way too expensive for what it is. The metal one looks nice but I won't have storeage space for food nor be able to add a heat pad.

Also I plan to put the cage in the "bedroom/laundry room". It's a small bedroom (with window and heating) with washer and dryer. I'm wondering if that would be OK. I figures ou it's a smaller place and it's easier to keep the right temperature. But would that be ok. The drier does not emit much humidity and I'm a fan of "hang to dry".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,963 Posts
Out of the ones you listed, I would go for the Super Pets Extra Large cage. If you'd prefer to get something larger for that price, and don't object to a bit of DIY work, you could make a C&C cage. I paid between $60 and $70 for the supplies for mine and I ended up with a cage that was 42.5" x 23" for floorspace and must be about 17" tall because I have a Cake Walk wheel in it, which is about 14" tall, and I still have room to spare above it. It was very easy to put the cage together, I think it took me about an hour and a half. I even went back and modified it awhile ago and made a storage space underneath the cage to put all of Lily's supplies.
Location of the cage sounds fine. Small rooms are definitely easier to keep warm and I don't think the washer/drier would bother Litchi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about C&C cages, but I'm really not a fan of DIY and I'm wondering if they are hard to clean (in the coroplast joints). I might be getting the XL Superpet Cage since I will be able to put a Cake Wheel I plan to buy. But I'll need to buy or make a new "stand/shelve" for that cause the one I have is too small. I'm sure she'll be really happy about the flor space improvment, my cage was quite small since I got my Silent Spinner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I would say the difference between cleaning a C&C cage and a store-bought cage with a plastic base would just be that the coroplast base will likely be too large to drag to the bathtub for a scrub down. I have a C&C cage, and what I do is remove the liners (if you use wood shavings or paper mulch stuff instead then you would just scoop it all out) and then spray the base down with my cleaning solution. I use vinegar and water, but there are other options out there. Finally, I wipe it down really well with paper towels and let it air dry.

The C&C cages can be really easy to make as long as you can get all the supplies. Plus, they are definitely cheaper than store-bought cages, and you can make them whatever size you want. Another plus is that later on you can expand or change the configuration without having to buy a whole new cage.

If you want to buy a store-bought cage, then I would say go with the largest one you can find. If you are interested in building a C&C cage, you should check out http://www.guineapigcages.com (if you haven't done so already) because it covers everything you would possibly need to know about building them.

If you do want to try making your own, all that you need are the wire storage grids, coroplast, zip-ties, scissors, an exact-o knife, and tape. You just make the cage outline with the grids (connecting them with zip-ties), and then place that on the coroplast. You outline the inside of the cage with a pencil, and then measure out from that outline with however tall you want the walls. Once you have the outer outline marked, you cut it out. Then you score the inner outline with an exact-0 knife (instructions are on the guinea pig cages website) and fold the walls up to make the base. Finally, you tape the corners together, and then just drop the base into the grid outline. And voila! You have a cage! =)

If you wanted to make a base out of the wire grids, then you would want to make a floor for the cage, and then build a base (using the grids and zip-ties) to add underneath. There are tons of photos on that website if you wanted some ideas, since the possibilities are endless. The nice thing is that you can use the space underneath for storage, and if you expand your cage it is really easy to expand the base to fit the new size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
I tried a few things... first a chinchilla cage, then storage bins, then... at Costco, of all places, I found interlocking vinyl cubes. It was the easiest thing ever to put together - and cheap too!

Since the panels are solid and not a wire grid, I didn't bother with the coroplast except for that I put a 3' x 3' sheet of it underneath the enclosure.

My setup consists of a cheap 3' x 3' card table, a 3' x 3' sheet of coroplast to protect the table (and because it is easy to wipe down when we change the fleece), 12 of the tall vinyl cube panels (I'm guessing they are about 12-13" high) and a bunch of zip ties... To make sure she doesn't push the walls (and slip out the side, over the edge of the table) we zip tie all 4 corners to the table legs as tight as possible (I actually have my bf do this for me since he's better at pulling them as tight as they can go, and then I tug on all 4 sides of the enclosure just to make sure everything's secure and that there's no way she could push them to the edge - there can't be ANY leeway). That's THE most important part... While she may not try to push at the walls to our knowledge, we're not about to test that. Of course, I'm sure the coroplast "box" approach (fitted to the size of the enclosure) would be just as secure, it just seems like it'd be more difficult to deal with... We just find it easier to re-zip every time we clean (It's only 4 zip ties to secure it... and zip ties are cheap.)



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Oh, and as for the wire grid C&C cages, I think some places do sell kits also, which might save you some of the trouble with the DIY approach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Ohhh yeah... also, the "12 cube" organizer we bought had a ton of panels left over... I made her a playpen out of the ones that aren't quite as tall (8" maybe?) and there are STILL a ton of panels in the box... so you could probably make something even bigger than the one I posted, as long as you had the space for it and could secure all the sides... It's also quite flexible when not secured, so it folds completely flat. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
ana said:
To make sure she doesn't push the walls (and slip out the side, over the edge of the table) we zip tie all 4 corners to the table legs as tight as possible (I actually have my bf do this for me since he's better at pulling them as tight as they can go, and then I tug on all 4 sides of the enclosure just to make sure everything's secure and that there's no way she could push them to the edge - there can't be ANY leeway). That's THE most important part... While she may not try to push at the walls to our knowledge, we're not about to test that. Of course, I'm sure the coroplast "box" approach (fitted to the size of the enclosure) would be just as secure, it just seems like it'd be more difficult to deal with... We just find it easier to re-zip every time we clean (It's only 4 zip ties to secure it... and zip ties are cheap.)



I was going to mention the possibility of them pushing at the walls and going off the edge of the table but I see you've already covered that problem. Good thinking.

I have a large table in our hedgie room and use those panels to make a playpen. Some of our gang were pushing at the panels so I now have the panels permanently attached. They hinge flat when not in use and hinge up and stay up with thumb latch clips in each corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still doubting if I'll go in the home made route. But Ana your cage looks fine. I know it wouldn't be possible for me becaue Litchi makes a mess on liner and I have use YN, so it would be a pain like that. But I'm sure gonna use that (if they have it at my Costco) to block the door opening from the hallway since I gave the coroplast to my ex for his chinchilla. Look at the future play area:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =722711765
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Nancy said:
I was going to mention the possibility of them pushing at the walls and going off the edge of the table but I see you've already covered that problem. Good thinking.

I have a large table in our hedgie room and use those panels to make a playpen. Some of our gang were pushing at the panels so I now have the panels permanently attached. They hinge flat when not in use and hinge up and stay up with thumb latch clips in each corner.
Yep, that was the first thing I thought of when we set it up - that we absolutely had to make the sides secure. :) It's also nice in that we can put the liner down and then zip the enclosure down on top of it and then she can't get under the liner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
FiaSpice said:
I'm still doubting if I'll go in the home made route. But Ana your cage looks fine. I know it wouldn't be possible for me becaue Litchi makes a mess on liner and I have use YN, so it would be a pain like that. But I'm sure gonna use that (if they have it at my Costco) to block the door opening from the hallway since I gave the coroplast to my ex for his chinchilla. Look at the future play area:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =722711765
Ahhh, yeah, Eva's pretty good about always going in 1 of two places (the wheel or the litter).

Good luck with your Costco! I'm sure they can be found elsewhere, but that's probably the easiest - and the best deal. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top