Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but I just finally decided to register and post!

I just built a C&C cage for Scooter. The only problem is the coroplast I got wasn't wide enough for me to make really tall walls. They're currently only about 3.5 inches tall. I wasn't really sure how Scooter would be about climbing, so I decide to put him in and observe.

He was really interest with the cage, (a few fun pictures attached), but after a few minutes, started to try and escape. I don't think he can get through, but I'm more worried about him getting stuck and hurting himself.

So I'm trying to figure out what my best option is without scrapping the coroplast base that I've already made.

Some different ideas I've got... making coroplast walls, and just tucking them behind the existing, shorter walls? Or cutting off the walls, and making new ones that tuck under the base? I've seen people that put clear shower curtains over the walls, would that be sufficient with the short walls that I have?

Thanks for any tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Most of my hedgehogs are smaller, and even being small I know they have at least a 7 inch reach when they stretch. So I need at least 8 inch coroplast walls when I build my c&c. Or... 8 inches of something. I want to see my babes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
He is adorable! I hope you can figure out a solution- his cage looks so cute. Love the the hedgehog print on the bedding.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You could use plexiglass, or another type of clear hard plastic (like placemats) to put behind the coroplast walls. That way, your hedgie is blocked off from the cubed wires, and you can still see him.

Or, another user on here used gauge clear vinyl to cover the walls of her cage. Here's a link to the thread where she describes how she did it, it has pictures too:

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/105-cages/50233-basch-s-new-c-c-cage.html

And if you're interested, here's a link to where you can buy the vinyl online (though I'm sure you can find it at Walmart, or craft stores):

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ap-878/10-gauge-clear-vinyl?cm_mmc=CJ-_-VigLink-_-6151661-_-10533695

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had this exact same problem with Hazel. The coroplast I bought wasn't big enough to go up the sides and my baby was able to climb up the cage with aboviously isn't good. I simply bought more coroplast, and put it up the sides of the walls with zip ties. Very simple. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is adorable! I hope you can figure out a solution- his cage looks so cute. Love the the hedgehog print on the bedding.
Thanks! It's a good print for sure. There's barely any hedgehog represented on it... but there's enough to make it a good fit!

The other liner I made for him is Superman print :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it at Joann Fabrics. I paid about $6 a yard for 12 gauge vinyl.

To attach it, I simply ran it over the tops of the cage, and then put the cage connectors over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts