Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a cage before I get a hedgie of course (lol) and I was wondering which is better: C&C cages or plastic bins. I know that C&C cages are easy to escape from, and hard to heat. But you can make two levels with them and there is more room/ easier to clean. But, on the other hand, plastic bins are escape proof, and they are portable. But, you have to use a space heater, (which is very expensive, lol) to heat it. Also there is a limited amount of room in the bins, and you'd have to make holes for pvc pipes :?

Sorry for the long post, :roll: but I just want your opinions, and what kind of cage do you use?

(P.s. which is the most inexpensive, and i know hedgies cost time and money but, you can always do something to save a little money lol.) :shock:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm using a Superpet cage for Lily right now, but I'm hoping to build her a C&C cage in awhile, after I can get ahold of materials. I have a space heater to keep my room at a good temp, and the space heater I got was only about $35. So...I suppose that depends on your point of view about expensive or not, lol, I didn't think it was too bad.
Plastic bins aren't always escape proof, I guess. Someone said that they've had hedgies climb on top of their igloo and climb out of the bin from there. But with plastic bins, you also have to make holes for ventilation, not just for PVC pipes.
As far as which was least expensive, it'd probably be the plastic bins. C&C cages can cost about $50- $60 (I think), depending on how much you have to pay for materials and such. But you can get a much bigger cage area for your money, too.
For litter box, I was using a plastic corner box that I bought from Lily's breeder, but she didn't really use it, so I took it out. Now she's pretty much got herself only peeing and pooping either on her wheel or right in front of it, so I put a folded paper towel in front of/underneath the wheel, which catches the poop/pee fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Currently we use a plastic bin but are switching to a C&C Cage. Plastic bins have some advantages but are rarely large enough to hold a Hedgie well (some may disagree). To make it larger can involve quite a bit of time. As for money wise I think it is a lot of trial and error. A C&C Cage is about $20 for 13 grids and 16 connectors. Coroplast is about $20 for a large sheet. The grids and connectors can be reused if needed and so can the coroplast though may require some work (since it will be cut to fit in the first size). As for escape the coroplast can go up high enough to prevent climbing (I have done a practice run and mine can reach the 5th rung of the grid) and unless your hedgie is really small probably won't fit through (Malla is only 220g). Plastic bins are generally $20 per bin and if you want to join some then you are probably looking $10- $20 depending on how you are connecting and how many bins you connect. One thing to think about is once you put holes in one of the cages of any type it can't be put back together again. Sounds kind of obvious but would surprise you how one can do something then realize it's not going to work and have to get all new supplies. So really think about what you are doing and make sure it will work or else it will get expensive. Heating is as you say. We have used a ceramic heater with our bin but you have to be able to suspend it so it doesn't touch plastic which is why people recommend space heaters. Which unless you like heat or have a room just for Hedgie is expensive and warm. Ceramic heaters are a cheaper way to go especially after the initial purchase. And as for litter pans everyone uses something different. From cookie pans under the wheel to plastic rabbit/ ferret corner litter pans. It's all a preference, room thing. Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both sooo much! Those posts have helped me figure out that I am going to use a C&C cage, and buy a ceramic heater. I appreciate that you two took your time to post a helpful paragraph! :D

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
No problem! :) If you want to see cage examples, there's a couple of posts in the Housing section, and there's a website-http://www.guineapigcages.com/ that shows how to make a C&C cage, and also has a spot where you can search for materials. Even if there's not a store listed on there near you that sells coroplast, just do a googlemap search or look in your phone book for a sign store near you. That's where most people get coroplast.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same delima when deciding what cage to make. I bought a Superpet cage before I got Bruce not realizing how much more room he would need.

I decided on a C&C cage and I couldn't be happier with my decision. It cost me about $45 to make. It wasn't too hard to assemble. You can make a very large cage for way cheaper than you can buy one from a store. Although I am happy that I had Bruce for over a month before I made the cage, so I knew not to be worried about him climbing or getting out of a C&C cage. That would be the only downside to the cage I made because a climber could get out of it. I also have him in the spare bedroom with a space heater and a ceramic heat emitter.

If you have the space and can escape proof a C&C cage would be my vote.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, I am pretty sure now that I am going to go with a C&C cage because this summer I am rearranging my room and I know exactly where I am going to put my hedgie cage, and there is going to be plenty of room. I though that heat emmitters were more expensive then 35$ but that is great to hear that they are not. Thank you all so much for the help! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
The ceramic heat emitter I bought was about $60 for the fixture and the bulb. Space heaters can be purchased for around $35. Lilysmommy said she bought a space heater not a heat emitter for $35. Space heaters heat the whole room and heat emitters heat a smaller area around them. Heat emitters are reptile lamps. If you are going with a C&C cage you will most likely need 2 heat emitters or 1 space heater. Since C&C cages are so open they can get cold and drafty if the whole room is not heated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sorry I accidentally said that :oops: :shock: :? I will just have to buy a space heater for $35 which seems like a great price to me! Thank You for poitning that out! :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A $35 space heater may not be the cheapest option in the long run. I don't know what space heater prices are in the US, but in Canada, $35 is about the cheapest space heater there is and when buying a heater that is going to be running 24/7, cheap is not the way to go. When buying a space heater, buy a good quality name brand heater. The less moving parts, the better. Oil filled ones are about the safest you can buy.

Space heaters also use more electricity and they are heating a larger space so even more electricity is used. Compare a 100watt ceramic heat emitter to a 1000 or 1500 watt space heater. A 100 watt heat emitter is equal to using a 100 watt lightbulb. The space heater is equal to 10 or 15 light bulbs and will need to run more often because the space being heated is much larger.

A ceramic heat emitter setup may cost more initially, but in terms of cost to operate and safety, it pays for itself very quickly. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm that is very true Nancy, and I think that maybe a ceramic heater is better? well I don't know what do you think is better for heating a C&C cage?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I am planning on getting one with 8 cubes soo ya it is going to be a two level one.

Also, I was wondering how you connect the two levels of a C&C cage? I know you use those pipes, put how do you get them through those tiny squares? :shock:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have another question: is it ok to take your hedgie outside in the summer for a little play? I was thinking of getting a play pen that I could use if i go outside

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
As long as the weather is warm enough, it should be fine. Be careful, though, if your grass is treated with pesticides at all, you won't want your hedgie on it. And you'll need to stay right with your hedgie every minute, playpen or not. They can be very good at escaping, and besides, there's a lot more animals outside, and they won't have a hard time at all of getting into the playpen if they want to see what's in there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thank you, I understand that I will have to keep careful watch.

I was wondering how you connect the two levels of a C&C cage? I know you use those pipes, put how do you get them through those tiny squares?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea, lol. I haven't built a C&C cage yet, although I want to, but when I do, it's probably only going to be one level.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts