Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a baby hedgie soon and just want to check that a 2 cube x 2 cube cage would be large enough? Also is it better to use zip ties or connectors and is making a stand from cubes stable? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yup, 2x2 should be big enough! I used either zipties or both zipties and connectors. I've seen some people use a stand from the cubes, but when I tried making one for Lily's 2x3 cage, it seemed pretty unstable to me and the whole thing swayed/shifted pretty easily. Never had any issues with it seeming like it was going to actually collapse or fall, but we didn't stick with the stand configuration for long anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah okay, thanks :) I'll have to give the stand a go and see if it holds. I was hoping 2x2 is big enough. A lot of the pictures that I saw were 3x2 and the like so I was worried for a minute.
There isn't a way to hurt their legs if I cut the coroplast around the connectors is there?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made the cage! It's 2x2 and I'm so excited to get everything to go inside :) My only concern is that the coroplast sits about half an inch above the actual bottom of the wire on the outsides because it's a little too big. This shouldn't pose a problem, should it?
I can post a picture if need be!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Like Draenog said, I would definitely try to make the coroplast taller. The recommended height is at least 7-8 inches tall, because hedgies are very good climbers and escape artists. My girl was able to climb her coroplast when it was 7 inches tall, so I had to bump it up to 9 inches.

And it wouldn't hurt to post a picture, a lot of people on here give really good advice :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The cage is 2 cubes by 2 cubes, not 2 feet by 2 feet. :) It should plenty big enough by the recommendations on the forum. From what I'm finding, the wire cubes are at least 14" long, so the cage is around 5 square feet, which is big enough even with the coroplast inside.

It sounds like you mean the box made of coroplast sits half an inch from the ground due to being a tight fit with the wire cubes, is that right? I can't see how it'd cause a huge issue, personally, but I'm not sure. The height of the coroplast is a little different, but I don't think you mentioned how high up it goes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oh! My mistake, I thought she meant the coroplast was only half an iinchtall. But if it it's half an inch above the ground, I think it should be okay. Maybe you can put something underneath it just in case, like books? Probably not necessary though.

And I was surprised at the measurements of the cube grates when I first got them! I used to think they were a foot long, but you're right, they're closer to 14 inches. Mine is a 2x3, and my boyfriend calls it a "hedgehog mansion" haha. That's why I love C&C cages!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should have been a bit more clear, sorry about that! Here's the cage so far though (I still need my wheel, dishes, and such). The liner is temporary, I'm going to get some more fleece to double it up. The last photo is how high the coroplast is from the bottom, the middle is on the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The cage is 2 cubes by 2 cubes, not 2 feet by 2 feet. :) It should plenty big enough by the recommendations on the forum. From what I'm finding, the wire cubes are at least 14" long, so the cage is around 5 square feet, which is big enough even with the coroplast inside.

It sounds like you mean the box made of coroplast sits half an inch from the ground due to being a tight fit with the wire cubes, is that right? I can't see how it'd cause a huge issue, personally, but I'm not sure. The height of the coroplast is a little different, but I don't think you mentioned how high up it goes.
On the forum yes, by American standards, most Europeans prefer bigger cages I think - I still find it too small tbh, but everyone has his own preferences :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
The cage looks really cute! Good job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Draenog I would definitely make it bigger if I could but I simply don't have the room :/ Maybe once I'm on my own again during school I can expand!

Melanie G. Thank you!! :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
On the forum yes, by American standards, most Europeans prefer bigger cages I think - I still find it too small tbh, but everyone has his own preferences :)
Ah, sorry! I wasn't thinking when I read and was reading "here" as forum rather than Europe/your country. :oops: I should've read it again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's the size cage we have and I think its perfect, both for her in terms of space for her things, and for me in terms of being able to reach things/clean things.

I also used the leftover cubes from the pack to create a little shelf, and have containers for her things, clean fleece & such to keep them put away and the dogs out of it. :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ah, sorry! I wasn't thinking when I read and was reading "here" as forum rather than Europe/your country. :oops: I should've read it again!
Don't worry, it's fine, I might have been unclear!

It's not terribly small and the hedgehog most likely won't be unhappy, it's just that it would be considered too small here and a bigger cage is definitely better. But if you don't have the room there's not much you can do (unless you're creating multiple levels).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My C&C is 2x2, and its very spacious. I have her items that take up space long the edges, so the middle is clear for her to run and play, aside from a few cat toys. I used zip ties, but put 2 connectors on the front for the lid to lean on. With zip ties it is very sturdy. I made the stand from the cubes as well, and I feel like it is very stable.

I have tons more stuff under neath it now, and its still very stable.
My coroplast is 8in high, and when I first put Penny in i used fabric and weaved it through the grids just incase she could squeeze out, but shes never even tried, so I think shes fine, and the coroplast is high enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My C&C is 2x2, and its very spacious. I have her items that take up space long the edges, so the middle is clear for her to run and play, aside from a few cat toys. I used zip ties, but put 2 connectors on the front for the lid to lean on. With zip ties it is very sturdy. I made the stand from the cubes as well, and I feel like it is very stable.

I have tons more stuff under neath it now, and its still very stable.
My coroplast is 8in high, and when I first put Penny in i used fabric and weaved it through the grids just incase she could squeeze out, but shes never even tried, so I think shes fine, and the coroplast is high enough.
Your cage is so cute! I may use the fabric idea until I know how high he/she can climb or tries to climb!

Thanks everyone for the input :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts