Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on bringing home my baby hedgie and I have made a spacious, 2 level C&C cage! I am worried about a few things though.

First: It's not too big for her, right? Its 42x28

Second: I've read that it's possible she can climb up the cage and I don't want her to squeeze through them. My boyfriend and I decided to line the cage with Plexiglass but that's pretty expensive. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Third: How are you guys connecting them together? I don't like the connectors because they are awkward and zip ties pull it together too much!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can use coroplast to line the sides -- at least partway up. It doesn't have to cover the whole side from bottom to top. It actually shouldn't be covered all the way to the top or you may end up with a tank effect with inadequate ventilation. Of course it won't be transparent.

The connectors are not great and tend to pop off. Zip ties are best. Nothing wrong with the grids being tight together, though you could just not tighten them so much. Making them tight will make the cage more sturdy -- especially if you have an upper level. I've made these cages for rabbits and always snug the grids tight with zip ties -- works just fine.

For the size, I was told to be sure to have plenty of "stuff" in the cage so that there isn't too much open space. Put plenty of toys, tunnels, hideys, etc. so that the cage is more full.

Here's a photo of my (one level) cage that is about the same size as yours (24" x 48"). It shows how it is filled with "stuff." (Note: photo was before I got my hedgehog so there isn't litter yet under the wheel or food in the bowls.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally, I use connectors and zip ties for my cage. The connectors aren’t that secure so using zip ties as well makes it very sturdy. There’s nothing wrong with the zip ties bringing the grids together too tightly.

Your cage is a large size, but as long as it is VERY filled up, it won’t be much of a problem. However, every hedgehog is different. Also, I should warn you that some hedgehogs don’t tend to use second floors. If you want to try it, you can... just don’t put anything of importance up there as your hedgehog might not climb up there to use them. Make sure your ramp is closed off as hedgehogs have bad vision and may fall of while climbing. If you do see your hedgehog’s using the second floor, then it is fine to keep items go importance up there. Just experiment a little bit with it.

Instead of pixie glass, you can use coroplast. If that is too expensive for you, then linoleum is a cheaper option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts