Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im thinking about using a C&C cage for my hedgie but what would u use for the floor? any suggestions? or if i go with a sterilite bin cage where do i get metal screeing can u just use chicken wire? :|

·
Registered
395 Posts
C&C means Cube and Coroplast

The cubes are a reference to cavy cages, but an animal play pen will work too with a little enguineuity.
The coroplast is a corrugated plastic that can be scored and folded to cover the bottom of the pen. The coroplast should have a high side so the hedgie cannot escape through the pen bars.

As for steralite, you should be able to find bins at wal-mart that have a floor space varying from 1 to 6 square feet. For a hedgie with a wheel and all that jazz, a 4-6 square foot steralite bin is recommended. If you wish you can just connect two smaller ones also. You can find out about that in the "build your own cage" thread. I believe it is stickied.
With these bins, you just need to put holes about half way up and above to allow for better ventilation. A roof should not be necessary unless your hedgehog is a super pro climber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even if he doesnt turn out to be a super pro climber as you would say, i still have two cats
and since they have spikes they wont get hurt but the cats will :lol: so yah, where do you get coroplast?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just finished making a C&C cage, and this website walked me through almost every step:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

Towards the bottom on that page it talks about where to get supplies, and there is a yellow "Find Materials" button that takes you to a database with entries from people telling where they have found coroplast (listed by area.) It also talks about alternatives if you can't find it anywhere.

I have a 3 year old so a lid was a necessity for my cage. I went to Home Depot and bought ClosetMaid wire shelves that I just set on top. I bought a really long piece for about $20 and they cut it into the two correctly sized pieces that I needed.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...Id=10053&productId=100157320&N=10000003+90054

Also, since I was worried about my baby hedgie being able to squeeze through the cube holes, I used the panels from 2 Midwest Small Animal Playpens for my walls and connected them with colorful zipties. I got the playpens from Petco.com, and through Google I found a Free Shipping + 10% off coupon!

Hope this helps. It was pretty easy to assemble once I had gathered all the supplies. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You do have to think about the cube holes. If memory serves, LG's hedgie is small enough to escape(even at full grown) and she has a video of the escape up somewhere.

So you have to be prepared to have something to block the sides, just in case.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, Inky can escape the C&C grids. On youtube, just look up Inky the Hedgehog. One of those vids is of him escaping. (It's a whole lot of going back and forth, the actual squeezing out is at the end).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.