Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I'm planning to buy a hedgehog in August after I'm finished with my summer job, and have a few questions since I've never really handled a hedgehog except for once- when i fell in love!
Is it ok for me to leave the hedgehog alone while I'm at school?
How old should the hedgehog be when I buy it?
How much SHOULD it cost?
How large should the cage be?

Thank you so much! :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC! I'd recommend doing a few searches in the forums and read the stickies, there is lots of information out there.

You can leave your hedgie alone during the day. They are nocturnal and will be sleeping then anyhow. You should handle him/her daily, though, preferably in the evening or at night.

Hedgies are usually ready to go around 6-8 weeks of age. If you buy from a reputable breeder, they will sell at that age.

Hedgies generally cost $150-250, with some lower and some higher. Of course, all the supplies and vet bills add up to be much much more than that.

The cage has to be an absolute bare minimum of 2 square feet, which is a figure I'm just quoting but I don't really believe in myself. I personally think there should be at least 2 square feet of floor space left *after* putting in the wheel, hiding place etc. You can do a search to find more info about cages.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts