Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just worrying a little bit. My hedgehog, Arlo, has been doing this for a while so even though I know it must be safe, since he is still alive, I still have questions.
Arlo has been burrowing in his cage for a while, he has a nice house that he used to sleep in every day until he suddenly stopped. He has about 5 inches of soft paper bedding and he burrows to the bottom of his cage. Is this dangerous for him? He covers himself up so I get worried sometimes that he can't breathe. And if possible, how do I get him to stop this? He keeps burrowing under his food dish, spilling it everywhere. I tried to correct him for the first week he was doing it by moving him back to his house but he isn't letting up.
Arlo will be angry but I will be very thankful if someone can help me with this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Burrowing is a natural behavior for them, and something they love to do for fun, and just to feel safer while sleeping. Wild hedgehogs burrow all the time. You can try switching to anti-pill fleece cage liners and provide a separate burrowing area made of piles of anti-pill fleece strips that you also hide food/treats in every night. You could also do a "dig box" instead which is a box/bin with an entrance and filled with things to burrow into, such as the fleece strips or large pompom balls and cat crinkle balls, or you can use the paper fluff bedding. The only issue with the paper bedding is that smaller pieces might get stuck to his penis/shaft. He might enjoy large/medium pieces of anti-pill fleece to hide under, like a blanket. And you can try putting his food and water on something heavier without fluff underneath to burrow like a plate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's a picture of my hedgehog explorering her fleece piles (she loves them), and a dig box (during playpen time outside the cage but many people leave dig boxes in the cage all the time) so you can see what I mean easier:
Purple Violet Toy Thigh Personal protective equipment

Photograph Light Green Blue Food

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts