Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minnie is my first hedgehog, I got her a few months ago and she was born in April of this year. She has been acting completely normal, but I noticed a bump on her front right leg a little over a week ago, it is not squishy, but it doesn't feel rock solid. It is probably a little smaller than the size of a pea. I would have already taken her to the vet, but 1. I was waiting to see if it was maybe just a bug bite and would go away, and 2. she doesn't seem to be in pain or to pull her leg away when I press on the bump. It also doesn't appear to be red and the rest of her leg is not swollen, just the bump between her foot and her elbow. Please let me know if you have any idea what I should do or what this could be!

·
Registered
306 Posts
In my opinion, it is worth a trip to the vet to be 100% sure. Hedgehogs are prone to a variety of cancers, and a mysterious bump could be something that needs to be removed. Also, even though your hedgehog doesn't seem to be in pain doesn't mean it isn't...hedgehogs are really good at hiding illness.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My hedgehog had something similar when I first bought her. It was thought to be trauma related because she broke a toe nail on that same foot. I was given antibiotics and the swelling went down! Definitely visit a vet :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts