Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a hedgehog cage out of an old piece of wood furniture. I want to keep a classic wood look so would rather not put linoleum on the bottom of the cage. I am concerned about the possibility of urine soaking into the wood and want to make sure that I seal the wood effectively but also want to make sure it is a safe option. Do you think that a poly seal would be a safe option, like a bar top for example. Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did some
Research on wood cages as I thought that they would look a lot nicer then a store bought or bin cage. I came to the conclusion the no there is really no good way to seal a wood cage. It will soak up urine, it’s hard to clean, it smells, hedgies will tend to chew it and it attracts mites. If I were you I would use a wood cage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally I’ve never had issues with a wood cage...it never soaked up urine never smelled...and I never had chewing issues...hedgehogs don’t really chew wood as a guinea pig would...I don’t remember which sealant I used but you should wait about 48 hours before you put a hedge in...I also used coroplast in addition to a sealant...you could also use a clear shower curtain in addition to a sealant if you wanted to...but it’s not nessessary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking to build a hedgehog cage out of an old piece of wood furniture. I want to keep a classic wood look so would rather not put linoleum on the bottom of the cage. I am concerned about the possibility of urine soaking into the wood and want to make sure that I seal the wood effectively but also want to make sure it is a safe option. Do you think that a poly seal would be a safe option, like a bar top for example. Thank you.
I use 4 ft vivariums with ceramic heat emitter and use lino on floor then fleece liners so converting wooden furniture would work fine if you put a waterproof base at the bottom to line it just in case 😉

1 - 4 of 4 Posts