Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spiff is getting way to big for his cage, so I was thinking about buying him a new one. Problem is, my parents are set on building one for him by themselves (plus me!). I'm worried that if we build one ourselves, we run the risk of chemicals, parisites, splinters, Spiff chewing wood, and other safety regulations. I think it would be safer just to buy one and not have to worry much about him getting sick from chewing the wood. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It's really up to you...You just have to keep in mind how you want it to look, how you are going to heat the cage, where it's going, etc etc. It also depends on how much time you want to spend on it. There are lots of great ideas floating around on this forum, especially in the cage discussions thread, where the materials used to discussed.

This thread might also prove helpful ^_^
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=building+from+scratch

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it would pose any health risks if we used wood and a kind of smallholed chicken wire? I personally do not support the idea. :|

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Wood is fine to use, though I forget which type of wood is better. Though I'm sure it gets covered in cage discussions, so it would be good to read through that, as I would have to do the same just to answer this question. Unless someone who knows the answer off the top of their head is kind enough to answer, as I don't want to take a stabbing guess and be wrong.
Although, I just found this thread, and would be good to look at as well:
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...t=2561&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=wood+cage
(Search function can be your friend ^_^)

As for chicken wire...It is dangerous to use, as the holes are still large enough to allow your hedgie to climb, and the chicken wire and slice open his foot. The thread that I linked above, if you read it, would show links of mesh that is safe to use. There's actually a decently long discussion about the mesh in the linked thread. So take a look at that, and look at the cage discussion thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts