Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think I've decided on putting together a C&C cage for my year old Hedgie Willow. I'd like to make it a little larger than what she needs right now and give her space to grow into it. I like the ones I see that have a loft but I'm worried about making it safe for her as she tends to do things she's not supposed to do (like climbing). Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with these cages? Any tips on what works and what doesn't work?

I liked these designs as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you say "have a loft", did you mean a second level/multi-story enclosure? Or did you mean exactly like the ones you've attached as pictures?

Either way, climbers will need higher coroplast walls for their enclosure, in order to try and deter them from climbing out. C&C cages are popular because they work well, and they're really customizable for each situation.

To be safe, I'd add a top to the cage in order to prevent escaping. It should be secure enough that the hedgehog can't push its way out, but easily openable so you can have access when you want. It's pretty feasible with clips and zip ties.

If you were talking about a multi-level cage, that would mean you'd need a ramp. Safety for the ramp, and if the hedgehog would even use it (especially after living a year without having one), become issues at that point. For example, if your hedgehog doesn't want to use the second level and you've put food up there to entice them, then they may be stubborn and just decide to not eat.

I've got a multi-level C&C set up, but I introduced my hedgehog(s) to it pretty early on. I also walked them through it and spent a lot of time teaching them how to use it/making sure they didn't get into too much trouble with the ramp. I had to add railings to the ramp and padding at the bottom because Marcy used to like sliding down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts