Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an albino male hedgehog. He is about 5 years old. the past few months I have taken him to the vet at least four times. he has been given shots, antibiotics, ear drops, been cleaned, had his ears packed, his stuff frozen and new bedding. The first visit was for bleeding ears. it was assumed to be mites and he was given a shot and antibiotics. it worked while he was taking the medicine but once it was time to go off the medicine it came back with a new sore around his mouth.so i took him back and be received another shot and more antibiotics. same outcome occured so i took him back again. this time they cleaned out his ears and packed them with medicine and gave me ear drops and they told me to freeze all of his stuff. same out come again. i went back a final time and was instructed to change his bedding to a fleece blanket and get him a litter box. nothing changed so i put neosporin on his sores to keep them from getting infected and they went away and stayed away longer. now his ear problems come and go with the application of neosporin. However in the past few weeks he has developed bloody sores covering his entire front right leg that i have been cleaning and applying neosporin to. today when i was cleaning him i noticed his face was bruised and so was his back. a very dark purple. im not sure what to do anymore. it seems like nothing has been working. any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Bleeding ears? That doesn't sound like mites. Unless the bleeding was from scratching. Honestly, I would find a different vet. Hedgehogs should not be given shots for mites. What they're giving is Ivermectin, which has caused deaths in hedgehogs. Mites should only be treated with Revolution which is a topical treatment that is very safe for hedgehogs.

Changing to the fleece was a good move if mites are involved. But these problems just aren't sounding like mites. If there is another vet in your area that will see hedgehogs, I would go and get a second opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts