Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I read a few days ago about 'browns' food being junk, andf then rwealized... that is what i bought for the hedgehog that i will be getting in a few weeks

can i feed this to my hedgehog? is it unsafe? or should i just feed it every once and a while?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45

Because Brown's is on the lower half of that list, I wouldn't risk feeding it. Reaper says that it has choking hazards, such as seeds and raisins. Since you don't have the hedgehog yet, you might try returning it to the pet store and see if you can get your money back.
To replace it, I would get two or more cat foods from this list: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15 . Most people prefer to feed a mix of two or more of those cat foods for their hedgehog. It's considered the healthiest diet for them, along with treats of fruit, veggies, mealies/other insects, and baby foods.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of the back of the bag, where the ingredients are? I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Would you mind posting a picture of the back of the bag, where the ingredients are? I can't seem to find them online anywhere.
I found this off the Petsmart website:

Zoo Vital fortified, low-iron diet provides the unique, varied nutritional needs that hedgehogs require. High protein and low fat diet with a crunchy texture and beneficial bacteria for digestion. Made with real cheese, fruits, and vegetables.

Ingredients: Corn, wheat, wheat flour, soybean meal, soy flour, corn gluten meal, poultry meal, soybean oil, alfalfa leaf meal, steamed flake corn, and more.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 15.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 6.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%
Feeding Instructions: For up to 12 weeks of age, feed one tablespoon per day per hedgehog. After 12 weeks of age, adjust the quantity of food up or down based upon your hedgehog's activity level. Additional food supplements such as crickets, mealworms, wax worms are a great treat, but no more than two per day per hedgehog.

Size: 2 lb. bag.

You really oughta be suspicous when the ingredient list says "and more" on the end :shock:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Haha, exactly. I've been trying to find that, but Petco doesn't sell it any more (you have no idea how happy I was to see that)... wait a minute. I did find the brown's...

My bad. I meant I was looking for the Vitakraft ingredients. Sorry about that! :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You really oughta be suspicous when the ingredient list says "and more" on the end
darn in my excitement to find hedgehog food i really should have read closer.. i am so glad that this website exists!

thanks everyone! i will definately return the food and go with your suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts