Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 28th, I went to clean my hedghog's cage when I noticed she had broken a nail off of her front foot. We did a bath to clean the wound up, but that caused it to re-open and it was bleeding pretty heavily. I emailed her breeder who told me I could use corn starch if I didn't have any kwik-stop on hand. After several attempts, I got enough corn starch on her foot to stop the bleeding. When I put her back in the cage, the wheel and woodchips were removed to help the nail heal quicker. Since then, she has been climbing all night (there is coroplast covering the wire on the bottom 6-8 inches of her cage). Over the weekend, we had more cuddle time on the couch and in my bed and after she scratched on stuff (a throw pillow and my sweatshirt) that was a little blood on the surfaces. I think this is just from the scab since it didn't look like there was fresh blood on her foot.

I ordered kwik-stop and it should be here tomorrow, but does this look like it's healing ok despite her new interest in scratching and climbing on everything? Her cage is kept clean as well.
Leg Grey Whiskers Fawn Wood

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Personally, I won't use qwik-stop on them. It hurts like crazy. The corn starch or even flour should work. The wound looks good. Did you use any neosporin on it? You can use the regular version with them for wounds of this type.

Occasionally they break nails. I've had it happen here with no reason that I could figure out why it happened. Watch as the nail grows back. Once in a while that nail will grow back in thinner and be more prone to breaking and may require more routine trimmings to prevent it from happening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts