Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dexter is my old man hedge (bout 5 or 6 years old) and lately he has been trying to get out of his cage a lot. Well I put up his playpen fence around the inside of the cage since the cage has no walls and he got his front left arm caught and twisted in the bars of the fence. I found him hanging there asleep and instantly got my wire cutters to get him loose. Well now there is no feeling in the arm because he just drags it along and does not hiss at me when I poke or pinch at it. It doesn't look broken really but more long than the right arm like the shoulder got pulled out of socket? I can post pictures if necessary. None of the vets here in town are qualified for exotic pets and the closest one is three hours away. Please help me ASAP.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Unfortunately, even if we can identify what's wrong with him with pictures, it's still something that will require a trip to a vet. He needs medical treatment, whether it's setting a broken bone or prescribing an anti-inflammatory or a pain medication. I know it's far away, but he needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed with Abbys. We can do absolutely nothing - he needs to see a vet as soon as you can get him there, preferably in the next day or two.

Do you know why he's trying to get out of his cage? Does he have a wheel? If not, he needs one when he's healed up so he can entertain himself safely, and for now, you'll need to find a better way to keep him contained where he won't hurt himself by climbing. Something with solid walls that he can't climb is best. I'm a bit confused by your description of his cage, why does it have no walls? What kind of cage is it? Until you can get him to the vet & while he's healing (if the vet agrees), it may be best to limit his movement. A large plastic tub with the lid on (and the middle cut out of the lid for ventilation) may be a good idea for a temporary cage until his leg is better and until you have his regular cage or a new one fixed up to be safe. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts