Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was beautiful out today (upper 70s with a light breeze), so I decided to bring my hedgehog, Annabelle (she will be turning a year old in May!) outside to explore the park on campus. I let her wander around freely, but I followed her closely and made sure that she didn't get into any trouble. It was cute to see her sniffing around in the grass; she was making a lot of noise, but I couldn't decipher what she was trying to say, haha.

Is this all right? I don't want to expose her to anything unnecessary (like germs, parasites, etc.) but I think she enjoyed stretching her legs. I'm just an anxious parent, lol.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Be sure that there are no pestisides on the grass or that can they not get under bushes or into holes. Hedgies are VERY quick. It is best to have them inside a hedgie/pet fence. It should be at least 75º.

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
Also keep in mind that while the air temperature is very warm, depending on where you are located, the ground can be quite cold still.

·
Registered
764 Posts
When I let my gang out I put a fleece blanket on the grass, just so it's not to cold (even if it's 30C-86F outside). Since in my province pesticide are illegal, I'm not worried about that, but you have to keep that in mind too if they are permited where you live. I would also be sure it's at least 75F or more

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I too have my boy on a blanket outside as well. Besides the ground sometimes feeling too cold, it's also easier to make sure he doesn't put anything in his mouth he's not supposed to, like wild bugs.

However, I do still let him on the grass, though he doesn't usually stay there for long, as he'll either climb back on the blanket, or climb up into my lap. He'll usually shuffle around, then scamper over to climb up into my lap :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
i like it to be in the high 70's to low eighties to go outside...it gets too hot here in the summer so we have to play outside only in the spring and fall. i also don't like to go outside if the air or ground is damp at all.

i bring a blanket outside too, mostly because they like to play on it outside, and it's easy to make sure they don't get into mischief.

also, i never bring more than one out at a time, it makes it easier to keep an eye on them.

don't let them eat anything! hammy was always trying to sneak bugs and that's when we started taking out a blanket. outside bugs could have eaten pesticides or other ickyness.

and this last thing might be just me, but i don't take them outside til the early evening so i don't feel like i'm waking them up after they just went to bed. it's warm at night here now so about 6 when the sun is still up for a few more hours is when we go outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts