Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing home my first hedgehog, Ian, from a breeder on Sunday. The breeder is about an hour and a half away. I bought a small pet carrier for him in the car, but I am wondering what I should put in the carrier, and what else I should bring for him. Also, what should I do for heating in the car? I live in southwest Florida.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there! I was in the same boat but my breeder was 3 hours away. I just lined the carrier with a lot of fleece to make the ride easier, the carrier (hard plastic), some water just in case, one of my T-shirt’s and a snuggle sack (for hiding),and a thermometer. I just used my car’s ac/heater and kept an eye on the thermometer. I had the probe inside the carrier to get the best reading for the temp my hedgie was experiencing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Definitely put some fleece or a blanket inside the carrier and an unwashed t shirt would be a great idea so that they get used to your smell. You could add some water, but if it’s only an hour and a half drive he’ll pribably be sleeping the entire time 🙂 congratulations! You’re going to love him. And don’t hesitate to ask questions on here, especially since this is your first hog!
As far as heating, just keep the heat on as high as you can tolerate it. It’s not gonna be too hot for him but it could definitely become too cold.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,200 Posts
You can get a microwave heat pad, heat it before you leave yours wrap it in extea fleece, and then pop it under ther carrier. the heating the car is a better idea, but its another suggestion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts