Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i Just got a new male hedgie,. and i'm trying to breed Isabella, shes about 3 yrs and he's about 1 1/2,
what should i do?
they've been in the same cage for two nights , now can i tell if the breeding was successful?
is she does get pregnant, .do i take her away from the male until she has babies?
also Spike (the male) is EXTREMELY aggressive,. he will bite on to me, and won't let go, then he'll grind his teeth, it hurts beyond belief, is this normal,? or could he be quilling? i'm terrified to pick him up

·
Registered
336 Posts
Take her out of the cage immediately! and hopefully she is not pregnant.

Female hedgehogs should not be breed for the first time if they are over one year of age, it can cause serious complications that can result in the death of the hedgehog

ETA: The male does not sound like he has a stellar personality, but with some work he might make a nice pet. Hedgehogs should be chosen to breed only if they have cleans lines, and then temperament should be taken into account.

I also wanted to add, if you do not know the answers to the questions you've asked, you should not be breeding right now.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If the female has not previously had babies, you are risking her life to be breeding her at the age of 3. Please do research before you plan to do anymore breeding. Anyone thinking about breeding should own hedgehogs for at least 1 yr before they consider breeding them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
allright,. thank you
is is guaranteed that she will breed if he is in there, ?
i would rather keep them together, but if she will breed then i will take her out

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, they will breed if kept together, you will need to take her out immediately, to prevent further risk to her life.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You definitely need to separate them into their separate cages, and hope the female isn't pregnant. Even if she conceives, her pelvic bone has probably fused and the babies won't be able to be born, which will kill the mother.

Please, please, if you are going to breed, research and make sure you know what you are doing. Then, get a pair of healthy, well temperamented (one that won't bite! that is not good) and pedigreed hedgies. And a mentor! You want someone you can ask for help in case of emergency and for any extra advice.

Good luck! :(

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Also, make sure your vet is prepared to do any emergency procedures in case she is pregnant, and has complications. Also make sure you have the funding for it. Emergency vets can be *very* expensive...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
allright, thank you
i have done extensive research but none of the sites i was on mentioned anything about age at all.
I'm sorry if i offended/scared any of you,. it wasn't my intention
I'm 100% sure she isn't pregnant, she hides under her blankie because shes a bit skiddish, but i figured it wouldn't hurt because shes lived with a male hedgehog in the same cage since she was born (so i was told) and i thought it wouldn't hurt if she had a friend (or a boyfriend) or even had babies,
she's out now but is supervised play time okay (I'm sure she won't play though) or should they be separate at all times?
thank you :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The amount of research you did was questioned because you asked very basic questions, not limited to age.

There is no way to be 100% positive she's not pregnant, if she spent two nights with a male, until 55 days after her last encounter with the male. A normal gestation is about 35 days, but the 55 days is a buffer, to be positive babies are not cooking extra long in the oven. So for the next 55 days I would suggest you watch her very carefully, even if you are doubtful of conception, because at her age this is a VERY high risk potential pregnancy. If you are watching her carefully, and assuming she is pregnant, hopefully you can catch any emergencies if they arise.

She should never be in the same place as your male, not even for playtime. It only takes a few seconds for a hedgehog to mate. Like you said, she probably won't even play, so it's not like she will gain anything from being out with your boy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i know they seem basic to you,. but those were my only two questions that weren't answered by websites, i know you take the male out 10 days before the earliest expected birth but i didn't know if he could hurt her in those 25 days and that you definitely don't let him near the mom or the babies after she has them,.i thought it could have made her hormones screw up so her body rejects them, and they never pointed any signs of pregnancy out,. they all just said "then put your hedgehog back in its cage, wait 35 days " i have no idea what to look for in a pregnant hedgehog, a growing belly I'm assuming, but I'm sure theres other ways to tell

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's actually pretty difficult to tell if a hedgehog is pregnant. It's huge waiting game.
Some females will gain weight consistently throughout their pregnancy, some will gain sporadically, some won't gain at all.

The male should not be kept with the female at all. Generally, breeders will breed their hedgehogs and then immediately take the female and put her back in the cage. Leaving the male in the cage until ten days before a possible birth could cause a lot of stress on an expectant mother.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If there is something you aren't sure about, or could have something clarified, wait, until you find out.

If you are seriously interested in breeding find a reliable mentor, and get a pair of registered, pedigreed hedgies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was curious as to how definite the "females should never be placed with males" statement is. Having had a male hedgehog who just passed away this Friday, I was told that I could take in a male and female from a friend of my Mother's. Though my Mother hasn't been able to talk to her, and thus, hasn't been able to find out much information concerning the two; she did say that the woman housed the two together because she "thought they were in love", for lack of a better word. And by "being in love", she has housed them in the same cage and they are ALWAYS together. No fighting, no qualms, no rough housing of any kind. Though I'm not sure if they are spayed or neutered, is this relatively common? If I do end up getting them, should I separate them in two cages?

Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The mother could have been constantly becoming pregnant, giving birth, male eats the baby, gets prego again, and the process continues. Are they sexed properly?

It is an ABSOLUTE no-no to keep them together. It's likely their health is already affected by this poor husbandry, and won't live too long. Two separate cages are a must, and you can hope that they were simply sexed incorrectly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LizardGirl said:
The mother could have been constantly becoming pregnant, giving birth, male eats the baby, gets prego again, and the process continues. Are they sexed properly?

It is an ABSOLUTE no-no to keep them together. It's likely their health is already affected by this poor husbandry, and won't live too long. Two separate cages are a must, and you can hope that they were simply sexed incorrectly.
As far as I'm aware, neither the male nor the female has bred. The woman got the two a week after I received mine; which was sometime in early July. Meaning that if she did get pregnant from having been in the same cage as the male, she would have surely given birth by now. The only thing is, is that she hasn't. And it's been 5 months. From the information I have received, there seem to be no problems between the two. They're just simply always together.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
With them having been together for 5 months the female will have given birth...at least once if not more. With the male in the same cage either he or the female would have eaten them right after birth..there would have been nothing left to see. The owner wouldn't ever have seen the babies or known that she had them. If this is allowed to keep happening over and over it will kill the female in time. Either the female needs to be spayed or they need to be seperated or the female will die.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
As Nikki clarified, I meant the parents are continually eating the babies, and there is nothing left to see. I highly doubt they have NOT bred, being together so long. It isn't like the owner was there supervising 24/7 for the whole time, to tell they haven't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
nikki said:
With them having been together for 5 months the female will have given birth...at least once if not more. With the male in the same cage either he or the female would have eaten them right after birth..there would have been nothing left to see. The owner wouldn't ever have seen the babies or known that she had them. If this is allowed to keep happening over and over it will kill the female in time. Either the female needs to be spayed or they need to be seperated or the female will die.
Like I said in the previous post, I am 99% sure she hasn't gotten pregnant. Whether that means that the female is spayed or the male neutered, I do not know. However, I do doubt that the owner wouldn't have realised that her hedgehog was pregnant; seeing as how she checks up on them regularly, and has 3 kids who do so, as well. :/ If the female is spayed/male neutered or even if the two are sexed incorrectly, which IS more than possible, is it common for the two to be on such good terms with each other? Or should I still keep them separated, despite them always staying together?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Like I said in the previous post, I am 99% sure she hasn't gotten pregnant.
If one is spayed, then obviously there would be no babies. If they are not, then YES, there was babies and they didn't make it. If you read previous posts in this thread, sevaral people state that it is difficult to notice a hedgie's pregnacy, and some may go through the entire pregnacy and birth without any obvious signs. I know for a fact this happens with mice all the time, as I raise them, and one of my does will never change in appearance/weight/appetite, yet she still has her babies, nurses them, etc. and is a great mother.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts