Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I just purchased a 8 week old hedgie from a friend who got the hedgie from a breeder.

I just setup her first cage in my house, i was concerend with the amount of bedding i put in there, as i beleive i may have put too much. Is this an issue?
I have about 5 inches of pine bedding in her cage.

When i got her today, out of curiosity i took her blanket off and there was this white substance on her back, i scraped it off with a toothbrush. I was hoping this wasnt something i should be worried about.

When i get near her or go attempt to touch her, she hisses (as expected at this time)

Should i continue to approach and try to hold her today? or should i wait until tommorow?.

Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, welcome and congratulation on ur new hedgie ☺

Im no expert, but most of the advice I got before told me to let the hedgie settle in first for maybe a day, allow the hedgie to settle in before u attempt on doing some bonding, as the little fellow is currently under stress due to travel/being in a new home/smelling new scent.
just make sure that ur hedgie have enough water and food for the day...

as for the amount of bedding, im not sure as im using fleece for my babies ☺

lets just wait for what the other has to say regarding this matter as Im curious myself as well :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
What kind of pine bedding do you use? Pine bedding is toxic. Cured pine bedding is safer, but there are plenty of other and better options. If you want to use wood, use aspen. The downsides of wooden bedding are that the pieces can get stuck in the private parts of the hedgehog and it's usually more expensive because you have to buy new bedding all the time.
Lots of people use fleece liners, they're safe and cheap (you can wash and re-use them). But it smells more and the hedgehog can't burrow in it.
5 inch is more than necessary.

As for the white substance, was it foamy? It sounds like she might have been anointing, they anoint when they smell new things and smear their foamy saliva over their own quills.

I usually just leave them for one or two days and let them settle in before I start handling them more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts