Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! My hedgehog Junie, much to everyone's surprise, had babies a couple of weeks ago. They're almost four weeks old now- old enough to sex- but some I'm having trouble with, as I've never done this before. So here's my question... is this little guy a boy or a girl? I thought he was a boy up until recently. Now I'm not so sure.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Do you have any photos with that belly stretched out a bit more? I think it's a boy. There's too much skin before the bump. If he keeps curling up, put him in a clear glass pan. He'ell stand up and then you'll be able to get a better look.

·
Registered
273 Posts
id say boy, until we get a better pic,

·
Registered
273 Posts
oh yea aleshea n nancy!!!! lol :lol: do we win anythin if we get it right??? lol jk :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, okay. For now Jilly is Melvin again! :lol: I'm going to get pictures of all the babies to clarify their sex. I don't want to mislead their soon-to-be new owners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just held Melvin. He unrolled very nicely for us, and we were able to determine- gasp!- that he is most certainly a boy. That photo was misleading...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point I'm not going to post another picture. After seeing him unrolled last night, I'm 100% certain he's a boy.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If that was a girl there wouldn't be any bump visible in that position because the girl parts are under the fold of skin/quills at the bum. When you see the bump you know it's a boy. What can be difficult is when you don't see a bump. Then you don't know if it is just hiding in wrinkly baby skin, or there isn't one. :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
ahh okay. I've never actually held a girl, but Vex's bump is dead center between all 4 legs like an X. Good to know nancy, Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! Like I said, I've never sexed hedgehogs before (except for Junie, but that was fairly easy because she's fully grown). Right now I'm definitely sure of all six of the babies' sex. We got lucky- 3 boys and 3 girls! They all have homes at this point, and one we're keeping.

·
Registered
395 Posts
jsut curious but was it a first time breeding or a surprise litter?

good luck with the babies. When they grow up and you are able to handle them, we want pictures =D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts