Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I have a little problem with bonding with my hedgie, Hades. I've had him since july. I know these things take time, and that he will never come when I tell him or even seek my attention like a dog or cat would. Yet my boyfriend took him in since I was moving and I didn't want to stress the poor thing with all the mess. He had him for 3 weeks and he had no problem bonding with Hades, he even got the hedgie to sleep on his hand. I don't know what to do. I've read alot of tips, yet they don't seem to work at all. I tried the shirt method, handling every day, offering treats..... nothing seems to work..... please help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just some thoughts I had:

What kind of soap do you use? They are very sensitive to smell and he may not like the smell of your soap. Try unscented.

Do you have a snuggle sack or something similar? It can really help with bonding time, especially if you sleep with it for a couple days.

Can you do bonding time in like the bathroom? Close the door and just let him explore. Maybe place a few treats around for him to find. You just sitting there will help the bonding. Talk to him while he explores. He may even crawl over your leg after a while. I am currently doing this with my girl and it seems to be working.

When I asked about bonding because I was getting frustrated I was advised to try to get on a schedule. Especially when it comes to bonding time. Try to take him out at the same time every day. I have been reserving mealworms just for coming out and going back in the cage. I am hoping my girl will start to associate play time and me with the yummy worms and maybe come to look forward to it.

My advice is just to keep at it and don't get too discouraged. It does take a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Jill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts