Hedgehog Central banner

bonding with an explorer?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  adena 
#1 ·
Our new hedgehog is very friendly as in she never balls up. I've never seen her rolled up except when she's sleeping.

She does huff at us and pop around when we have her cage open and we are petting her, but she doesn't quill up.

She does not like to be held. She doesn't want to stand still. I've read that this is the personality of some hedgehogs, and that's okay with us. I just want to know if we are still bonding with her, even though it is impossible to get her out and hold her every evening like is suggested. We do play around with her and talk to her and pet her each and every evening. I also have a little playpen for animals that we sit in and let her run around us. Is there anything else you suggest we do to help her bond with us? We've had her only a week. She's four months old. Is it possible that she will ever let us hold her, even briefly?

Thanks so much! I've learned so much already from this board!

#3 ·
Luna likes to run a lot too, but I dont know, I guess I sort of cheat hehe I plunk her down on the kitchen floor and roll toys and play but not touch, or I put toys in her play pen, or put her in her ball and let her go at it until she starts to get a little tired and slow down, then I pick her up. She still thows a fit, its only a bit of a protest but she quiets down after a minute or two and is content to explore your sweater, or clothes. Then that exploring either becomes boring, or she's calm enough and doesnt mind being held and pet.
haha kind of the same way I babysit :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.