Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

This is my first time with a baby hedge. I've had two adults before, but never a baby and I know they're a bit different. I've had her a month (she's 12 weeks on Friday), but her behaviour has changed.

When I got her, she was quite friendly and would come out and play with minimum coaxing. Now though, I've had almost a week of nothing but a little quill ball who huffs anytime I move. I still snuggle her for at least an hour a day, but I'm worried. She was such a sweetie when I got her, but now she just seems to be super defensive.

I haven't changed anything recently, and she doesn't seem to be shedding many quills recently. Otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy - eating, drinking, pooping and running in her wheel. I'm probably overreacting, but I just don't understand it.

I guess my question is - is this just quilling? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do, or try, that might make her feel safer/like me?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, she's probably just quilling. Just in case, though, you should schedule a check up with your vet. Plus, it's always good to make sure they're healthy when they first come home.
In the mean time, avoid touching her back. Quilling is pretty painful for them. Oatmeal baths can help alleviate some of that pain.
As far as bonding goes, your doing everything right. Just keep bonding with her. Sometimes it can take a long time before they finally warm up to you.
I did the tshirt trick with my boy, Echo. Wear an old tshirt for a few nights, then put it in her house to sleep in. That way she'll get used to your scent.
Hope this helped a bit. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts