Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 2 Issues. I've had my hedgehog for a little over a week. He is around 10 weeks old and loves to sleep and has seemed kinda grumpy lately. The first issue is with the sleep. I want to get him out and spend time with him but he wakes up around 11:30 PM and goes to sleep around 6 AM. I have to go to work in the morning so I can't stay up late to play with him but I don't know if should be interupting his sleep during the day. As far as the grumpiness goes, the past couple of days he just kinda quils up when i try to pick him up like he's scared of me or something. I guess he could be tired? Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it's fine to wake them up during the day. Obviously don't keep him up ALL day 'cause he WILL get grumpy then... I usually wake Gunther up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, right after I get out of class, and spend time with him for 30 min. or an hour, and then let him go back to sleep. Also, I usually 'tuck him in' in the morning for him to go to sleep, cause his 'day' ends around 7 or 8 in the morning. It would probably be a good thing to have contact with your hedgehog some other time too. The reason he's acting 'grumpy' or scared is because he IS scared. Especially if he's new to you, it will take a while to get him completely comfortable. I've had Gunther for a little over 3 months, and if I don't 'hang out' with him more than once a day, it's almost like he forgets who I am. Or is just used to not being held.

If you feel guilty for waking him up, or don't want him to be scared, and are hesitant to hold him and play with him because of it, don't! It's for his good and yours. Eventually he will prefer to sit closer to you, or prefer to climb on you, rather than scurrying away and hiding. (Gunther likes to drape himself over my shoulder and smell/feel my hair on his face. It's the cutest thing EVER, and totally worth the last few months of him being so scared and grumpy!!)

Sorry for the novel, but I definitely know how you feel- don't be discouraged!!

-Terra & Gunther

·
Registered
902 Posts
I wake mine up anywhere between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. to spend time with them. Some evenings I have them on my lap (and Whyte on my daughter's lap) all evening, we put them back in their houses at 9 p.m. and that's when they usually start their evening routine of eating and wheeling.

I feel consistency is important, they learn a routine. In the morning mine only get a hand-press to make sure I get huffed at and know they are alive. I don't get them up in the mornings.

I would look at your daily schedule and try to choose a time that you can consistently spend about 30 minutes with him.

Their initial reaction may always be that jump and hiss, they simply don't know who we are when they are first woken up. My Riley, however, immediately calms when he smells its me. I can scoop him up no problem. Whyte still hates me but now is coming out of his ball with my voice whereas before my voice sent him INTO his balled up huffiness. It takes time to win their trust. Time and lots of patience, pretend you are taming a wild animal. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts