Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Earlier today I was sorting through Prue's growing collection of stuff and rediscovered the adorable bonding bag that I bought her. After seeing that the forecast for today was warm, I decided to walk my dog and take her along. I have heard of people doing chores and going shopping with their hedgies, so I figured-Why not?

It was about a 20 minute walk around the block and the neighbourhood was quiet. Prue was very interested in the beginning, sniffing and wiggling around to her little heart's content. She never really settled, and when I got home and put the bag in her cage so she could get out, she didn't budge. This is a hedgehog who normally bolts for the food as soon as she can. After a couple minutes of her sitting in the bag I reached in and took her out, placing her by the food. She immediately ran away from the food and into her PVC pipe, staying there for almost 5 minutes before making a run for her igloo. She seemed flighty and nervous.

I'm worried that I might have stressed her out, or that maybe the slightly less than steady ride made her feel sick. Is it normal for hedgies to act this way the first time they go out into the real world? I have used the bag inside the house before, but never outside. Is it possible she was overwhelmed by all the smells and such that are outside? It might not make a difference, but she used to belong to a breeder and probably never went outside before today. I feel like she is going to be afraid of me for a month!

Any insight at all would be great!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes it can be a possibility :) My babies are not too fond also of the outside world haha! Remember hedgies are prey animals and so anything new (like sounds, sights, etc.) can stress them. Some of them also get motion sickness. So for as long as she is doing her usual business after your outing I would not worry too much :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night she was back to her normal self. Eating normally and walked right into my hand when I went to top up her food. She was probably just a little overwhelmed. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
If it was one of those snuggle sacks that have a shoulder strap, it could've been some motion sickness. I once put my girl in a little carrier with a shoulder strap and took her in it to the car with my arms full my luggage to go on a 4 hour car ride. Big mistake. She swung around too much and silently puked all over and I didn't know until the long ride was over!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts