Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raw or cooked is fine

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some reptilinks whole prey sausages and was thinking about serving them to my hedgehog boiled instead of raw because I'm afraid of her getting sick from bacteria. The reptilinks I ordered have raw quail egg in them, an insect blend, and whole prey raw meats. I'm thinking about boiling the reptilinks while it's still in its casing and then opening the casing and serving the cooked contents of the reptilinks.

A bit of info on my hedgehog's current diet: I currently feed my 4 month old hedgehog a mixture of Precision Hedgehog kibble, Wellness Core wet cat food, and I alternate between Koha wet cat food and Fromm wet cat food. I also feed her live black soldier larvae, live crickets, live beetles, and live earthworms. She occasionally eats bell peppers and watermelon, too. I've fed her plain cooked chicken before and she loved it lol. She's a picky, but adventurous eater. She's very active and not overweight.

I'm thinking of adding 1 tablespoon of cooked reptilinks to her current diet.

I see different opinions on raw vs cooked meats that I don't know which route to take. Some people say serving blended raw whole prey is fine, and other people saying it's not safe to serve raw meat/egg.

Would boiling reptilinks ensure that my hedgehog won't ingest potential bacteria associated with raw meat and eggs, or is boiling the reptilinks unnecessary?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
* Update *

For anyone who's curious, I did end up boiling the Reptilinks whole prey raw sausages. It was a hit! She tore it up lol.

I boiled them in a pot of water, emptied the contents out, and blended them up in my Magic Bullet. Then, I added them to her daily wet food mix. I also added a new kibble to her wet mix ( Fussie Quail and Duck cat kibble) and blended the kibble up as well.

I'm also going to try to give her some silk worms to spice up her daily bug mix a little. Wish me luck! 🤞

1 - 2 of 2 Posts