Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog was on her back and 'flailing' to get back upright and I noticed a blue spot in the centre of her belly, under the skin. Is this normal (ie. an organ or something) or possible internal bleeding or something else? I've never noticed it before although she hates being on her back so very rarely is. I could only see it when she was really stretched out.

As for her personality, she seems normal. Just had a bath, was swimming & pooing in the tub. Now (after a good dry off) she's running around her play pen and chomping away at food.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Im not sure without seeing a pic but I wonder if it was a vein. Was it big and circular or just a small blue area? I know in area where peoples skin in thin (like the back of your wrist or arm) you can see veins. Hopefully someone will come a long that knows for sure though.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Circular, about the size of a nickel. The colouring is that of a vein, but circular. Because of the need for her to really stretch & not having any other visible problems I assume it's an organ, but I wanted to be sure. Not many webpages on hedgehog internal anatomy.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!!! Thanks for letting me know. As she's my first & only hedgie, I had to frame of reference :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hahaha, this is too funny! I was just asking Deneen (HedgiePets) about this yesterday. I've noticed it's mainly in girls too, right in the middle of the belly. I haven't seen it on boys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.