Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance, I didn't know what category I should post this in. I already have a post in "Bleeding, Male" under "Health" but I haven't gotten any replies from anyone saying that they've seen this before. The bumps keep popping up & at first they bleed, but then they turn white. I'm not sure what it is.
Anyways, to be safe I have an appointment with the vet at 3:20 today & this is Oliver's first time. I think I'm probably more nervous than he is. :geek:
I'm mostly nervous that he will ball up & not let anyone touch him or treat him. He's really bad around other people ): what happens if he won't come out of his ball? :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
My rescue hedgie, Relm, did not like to be touched AT ALL. So when I had to take her to the vet, they put her in a clear container. She unballed to try to escape it, and they lifted the container up so they could see underneath to her belly (it was the first time I even saw it! lol). If they have to give Ollie a shot or anything, they may have to put him under light anesthesia using gas if he won't unball. They had to put Relm under in order to take an ultrasound. I was really nervous taking Relm to the vet too, but I find that if you can be calm, the animal gets a little calmer. Especially if he lets you touch him, he might sense your calm and not be so afraid. =] Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you and your little man today. *hugs*

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rescue hedgie, Relm, did not like to be touched AT ALL. So when I had to take her to the vet, they put her in a clear container. She unballed to try to escape it, and they lifted the container up so they could see underneath to her belly (it was the first time I even saw it! lol). If they have to give Ollie a shot or anything, they may have to put him under light anesthesia using gas if he won't unball. They had to put Relm under in order to take an ultrasound. I was really nervous taking Relm to the vet too, but I find that if you can be calm, the animal gets a little calmer. Especially if he lets you touch him, he might sense your calm and not be so afraid. =] Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you and your little man today. *hugs*
Thank you so much that made me feel a lot better <3

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: We went to the vet a few hours ago. She was trying to swab the red areas but he was huffing & balled up so she gave him back to me & he came out. She said the best thing would be for me to leave him there so they could sedate him & look at him while he slept. I agreed it would be best since they wanted to pluck quills & some other stuff that sounded pretty stressful for him. I put him down on the table infront of her & he tried running back to me & tried to climb up my sweater but she grabbed him & he started peeing all over himself and trying to get back to me ): It was the saddest thing. She put him in a shoe box and told me they would take good care of him ): I miss him already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: We just got him back, hes very stressed out. very twitchy too ever since he woke up from the procedure. he was very happy to see me & made a little fort in side of all my hair. he was huffing & popping more than he EVER has but as soon as we were in the car he started making a little less noise. They don't know whats wrong forsure but they think that it is some sort of fungus. she said they have to send their results into the lab to see what it is forsure. the arm pit looks a lot worse like its been bleeding & has now crusted over. its more purple now. Hes very happy to be home but not quite himself yet. like i said before, very flinchy. I feel really bad I have to take him back in 14 days. We were given medicine that is apparently chicken flavor, so he loves it. for now i'm hoping the medicine helps. the breeder has not texted me back since I told her that he has some sort of fungus growing all over him & it's spreading.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi there!
We have a new baby girl and she has spent a lot of time at the vets, having medicine shoved in her face twice a day and being forcefeed four to six times a day. Needless to say she was very twitchy and nervous around us. Just keep giving her lots of love and snuggles. We started offering treats when she was able to eat on her own so she would not associate handling with bad things all the time. She is snugly again and not so frantic to get away all the time. Vet visits and follow up care isn't fun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there!
We have a new baby girl and she has spent a lot of time at the vets, having medicine shoved in her face twice a day and being forcefeed four to six times a day. Needless to say she was very twitchy and nervous around us. Just keep giving her lots of love and snuggles. We started offering treats when she was able to eat on her own so she would not associate handling with bad things all the time. She is snugly again and not so frantic to get away all the time. Vet visits and follow up care isn't fun!
Thank you so much :) & goodluck with your girl <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts