Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BoBo had bloody urine last night and I took her to the vet this morning to have X-ray taken and now she's taking medicine. The vet said that it takes two to three days to stop bloody urine and wanted me to feed her more water. I'm very worried about BoBo. She is 3.1 years old and she has some tooth problems, so I put her cat food in the water to soften.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vet didn't tell me whether it is urinary blood or uterine blood. He had BoBo X-ray taken and told me that she didn't have calculus. He didn't have BoBo's urine tested. What do you mean "pull urine directly from the bladder?" Does it mean BoBo should take some surgery to have her urine pulled directly from the bladder? Or does it mean I collect BoBo's urine at home and take it to the vet for testing? The vets in Taiwan know little about hedgehogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoBo never has babies. It is not blood in the urine, but her urine is all red. I hope it is not uterine blood, because I don't think the vets in Taiwan are capable of operating hysterectomy. I'm really worried about her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet had BoBo's urine tested, and he said it "may" be urine infection. Actually he didn't know much about hedgehogs. BoBo is his first hedgehog patient.
She has taken medicine since yesterday. This morning I found her blood is still red. The vet said it would take three days to stop bleeding.
I'll wait and see if she gets better. If she doesn't get any improvement, I'll try to find another vet to help her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would it be dangerous for hedgehogs to have anesthesia? But it seems to be the only way to tell whether it si urinary blood or uterine blood. I'll talk to the vet about it. But I doubt the vets in Taiwan are capable of giving anethesia to hedgehogs. My friend's hedgie died during the process of anesthesia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vets in Taiwan are not experienced with hedgehogs. Today I took BoBo to another vet and had her blood tested. The vet said it is urinary blood. BoBo needs to take medicine for ten days. I'll wait and see if she will get better in ten days. Luckily, it is not uterine blood, because I don't think the vets in Taiwan are capable of operating hysterectomy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After taking medicine for 12 days, BoBo has no bloody urinte now!! Luckily, it is urine infection. Thanks for everyone who helps me a lot on this discussion board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.