Hedgehog Central banner

Blood On The Wheel. Yikes!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hedgewawa 
#1 ·
I'm going to cut to the chase and say that my hedgie seems FINE. But here is a long post about what happened to us yesterday:

I get up in the morning on Sunday and I glance into both hedgehog cages. My female is sleeping under the liner, her house is tipped over and her wheel has brown on it. Looks normal.

My male is sleeping in his house and his wheel has poop and pee on it. Looks normal.

I go all about my errands and such for the day. I had planned to bathe both hedgehogs in the early evening when I could be slow and calm... I get all ready and I take my female and give her a good bath. I don't notice anything wrong. She is lively, poops in the water as usual, no problems. I change the liners in her cage and decide to clean her wheel later that night before she wakes up. I tuck her back into her new larger house with lots of fleeces to keep her warm.

Bathe my male etc. he is absolutely fine. Poops in the water too! LOL Tuck him into his little house.

I relax for a while and get ready to clean their wheels as usual. Clean the males first.

Reach for the female's wheel and think that the brown on the wheel is on there very evenly spread out. Almost like air brushing. Seems odd. Take the wheel into the bathroom and put it down in the shower. YIKES. Against the white of the tub I can see that the mist of brown on the wheel is somewhat redish.

I wet the wheel to clean it and the mist of brown turns bright red. IT IS BLOOD. A mist of blood all over the inside of the wheel. I try not to panic because I have just handled her and she was fine. I finish up and get the hedghog out to check her all over. I look at every inch of her. NOTHING. I check her feet, her tail, her tooshie, ears, mouth, belly. Nothing.

I'm glad she is ok. I think it must have been a toe though I had not trimmed her nails or done anything with her feet. And we have a CWS so she could not have snagged a toe. I am keeping a close eye on her. No blood this morning.

Any comments appreciated. Sorry this is long but I was shocked and dismayed

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Nancy, I have had her since May. She has had a wheel for two months.

If she is ok as of this morning, meaning no blood, can I leave the wheel in as normal?
Should I apply anything to her feet?

What a shock that was.

#7 ·
Kudos to you for getting her to a vet and having that checked out. I hope she's fine! Keep us updated. :)

#8 ·
Thank you. I took her out tonight and she is lively. I still see nothing wrong with her feet. Will check wheel in the morning. Vet visit is tomorrow night. Wish we didnt have to wait but she is not in distress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.