Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bella left blood on her wheel for me this morning, could easily see it was little bloody footprints. Gave her a quick footbath and spotted the tiny raw spot on the toe pad of one of her middle toes on her front left paw. It was not bleeding after her foot bath at all. She is not limping when walking.
Just want to verify - how many days should I keep her wheel away from her? And is there anything I should put on her foot (such as vaseline)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The one I have is a smooth interior bucket wheel. It's the only wheel she's ever had. When she was a baby I used to wonder what was wrong with her because she rarely used her wheel. But over the past 2 weeks she has started running constantly. Here's a pic of her wheel from when she first came home. It was so clean back then, because she hated it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No litter box. Just paper towels in a corner. I didn't notice any toenails that were too long or curled, keep her nails trimmed pretty good. Of course, she could have just gotten her feet crossed up while running and stepped on her own toenails I suppose. She doesn't roam around freely, she's always either in her cage or on my lap. The spot on her toe pad basically looked like a small blister that had been popped. So, I don't think anything cut her. Just tender from running maybe?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to make so many posts, but thought I should post a newer photo of Bella's wheel. I should have mentioned that I did put some little "bathtub tread" strips on her wheel months ago because when she first started using it, she would go get a few good rotations in and then she would slide right out of the front of it and land on her side. They've been on there so long I don't think they would be the problem, but I should point them out just in case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if I would be able to take the treads off the wheel at this point. Might not ever get the adhesive off. Do you guys think that is what might have caused the bloody foot? She's been running on it (with the treads) pretty steadily for 6 weeks or more and has never had a bloody foot before. But I certainly will try to remove them if the general consensus is that they are causing the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. I took her wheel out last night and will check her foot today to see if it looks better. If it still looks raw I will probably leave her wheel out for one more night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.