Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
What kind of wheel do you have? One our my guys ran himself raw because of the grooves on a comfort wheel. I gave him a foot bath and let him walk on soft, squishy surfaces for the night. As soon as we switched to a bucket wheel, we've had 0 problems (other than his figuring out how to unscrew it from the base).

I would take the wheel out for tonight and give it back to her again tomorrow. If it happens again, I'd definitely switch the wheel to a smooth bucket (or sheet metal) wheel.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Awe. It's probably good that she didn't run on it seeing as how tiny she was.

I don't have any experience with bloody paws on smooth surfaces and I can't think of why her feets would be bleeding. Maybe she's running so much that the friction is causing her feet to bleed? Does she have a litter box? The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the litter is cutting her feet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
haha she's so funny!

The bath treads may be the issue. It may be that the friction from running so fast and the friction from the very... grippable (for lack of a better term)... bath pads could have given her a blister.

As far as her falling out of the wheel, I'm not sure what to suggest for that-- I've never seen any of my guys fall out, mostly because I'm either in bed long before they start wheeling, or they know I'm watching them and they just stop in their tracks. I can only assume though that with more running, she'll get used to the wheel and not fall out; just something she has to get the hang of?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hmm if this is the first time in 6 weeks she's had bloody feet, then it probably isn't the treads. Maybe she tripped? Or lost a quill and poked herself in the foot? As long as she's stopped bleeding and isn't injured and is eating/drinking/pooping properly, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Just keep an eye on her after you put the wheel back in. The glue thing is concerning to me too-- especially since it's supposed to be in the bathtub-- it's water-proof. I would keep the treads on :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.