Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Bip has had blood in her urine for about a week or so. It's not all blood, only some of it is bloody. When we took her to the vet, she went on the table and we collected a sample to be tested and also to have a culture taken. The blood came out right after she was done peeing, so hopefully that helps those of you who have knowledge in this. We got antibiotics for her and started treating her with them yesterday afternoon. No blood this morning.

The vet just called with the urine analysis test to say that it came back normal, nothing unusual. It will be another day until the culture is finished.

What does this mean for Bip? Obviously still need to hear back about the culture results, but just thinking what next steps could be. I can't afford a costly surgery so I am praying that it will still be a UTI or something that the antibiotics will cure.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Usually, with females it's uterine and they need to be spay.

A urine sample directly from the bladder needs to be taken to know for sure.

If you can't afford surgery you need to either have someone loan you the money or look for a rescue organization willing to take her and help her since it's not fair to let them suffer if the owner can't pay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the culture came back positive for two types of bacteria that the antibiotic treats. Did the 2 weeks and the blood stopped, but it eventually came back. I did not know that I was to refrigerate the antibiotic so we decided to do another round but it hasn't seemed to be working - some days no blood some days blood. This morning, however, the amount of blood was staggering and I feared the worst but found her in her den completely fine and happy.

Question: If it isn't a UTI, is it normal for her to be so normal? She eats just fine, is just as active as ever, and all other signs are good. I'll be taking her to the vet this weekend if the rest of the antibiotics don't work or if I see that amount of blood again.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hedgehogs hide illness especially well. Just because she's acting normal doesn't mean everything is ok. She needs to be checked for a uterine tumour and then be spayed if one is found.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts