Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally convinced myself to post on here to get some advice after visiting this site on MULTIPLE occasions.

My little hedgehog Abby, I'm guessing is about 2 years old. (I bought her and her sister from an individual who thinks they were 1.5yrs old) Yesterday she pee'd when I was holding her and it was tainted pink so I automatically took her to the vet. The vet gave her a clean bill of health but wasn't able to get her to pee, empty bladder. He said a UTI is a common thing for hedgehogs and gave me an antibiotic that will be for two weeks (Sulfa/Trimenthoprim Suspension, 0.2 ml every 12hrs). I started it yesterday and it doesn't seem to have taken in affect yet.

I did notice that over the weekend that her poops were really dark and kinda "sticky" and she will be walking around, then just lean over on her side and stay there, like she's exhausted from walking. She's usually the hyper one of the two, always on her wheel and the one that eats most of the food but since this weekend I haven't seen any poops or even seen her out of her pocket.

It seems she's so weak that she can't lean up to drink from her bottle, I've been holding her up there and she will drink up as long as I'll hold her but she refuses to eat anything. This has been going on since Saturday and it's now Tuesday.

Does this sound like a UTI? and I'm not sure what to syringe feed her until she's up to eating on her own. I'm a new hedgehog owner but don't have a lot of money to get any bigger tests done on her unfortunately... I hate to see her like this though!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
This doesn't sound like a UTI to me, it sounds like something more serious could be going on. You need to start syringe feeding her right away. You can use pate style canned cat food watered down, baby food (chicken is a good one) or get some Hill's AD from the vet. You will need to get some syringes to use. Try to give her about 20-25 mls (CC's) in her each day. She could be weak from lack of food. You should also syringe water to her as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This doesn't sound like a UTI to me, it sounds like something more serious could be going on. You need to start syringe feeding her right away. You can use pate style canned cat food watered down, baby food (chicken is a good one) or get some Hill's AD from the vet. You will need to get some syringes to use. Try to give her about 20-25 mls (CC's) in her each day. She could be weak from lack of food. You should also syringe water to her as well.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I blended up some wet canned cat food and mixed it with some water and she's taken to it well. I've also been making sure that she's getting plenty of water, before I leave for work hold her up for water from her bottle, when I give her meds/syringe feed I give her one or two syringes of water as well and then a couple times when I'm home in the evenings I hold her up to her bottle. I've checked for dehydration by pinching in between her shoulders and her quills/skin goes back to normal pretty quick. She is walking good but still seems a bit weak and not very active, I also haven't seen any colored pee spots in her pocket or outside on the fleece (good sign?).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts