Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Male hedgehog, about 1 year and 4 months old. Retains reasonable appetite and no sign lethargy. Looking healthy in general.

He was hissing this morning when I was nearby working, making sound. He calmed down after I held him. I checked up on him in the afternoon when defecated on me, the first one had blood (red not black) on it, another two came out afterwards but there wasn't any blood, they however were green and soft.

He had more fried worms than usual last night. I also had deodorant on me when I held him briefly, that might cause the green in his stool?

I am trying to avoid a trip to the veterinarian since the one I have here doesn't really know what they're doing with hedgehogs which worries me especially when she struggled to hold him and even urged me to have him take ivermectin treatment the last time I visited which to my knowledge is very risky.

I applied advocate on him just in case but if you know any experienced veterinarian please direct him to this post, at least then I would know what to say to my vet. :-|

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
If it was just the one time you saw blood then I would just keep watching him closely for now. If you see blood again then it's time to see the vet. A lot of vets aren't comfortable holding hedgehogs and want to give ivermectin, this doesn't mean they can't still safely treat your hedgehog.

You mentioned fried mealworms? did you mean dried? If so then I would stop feeding them. Freeze dried mealworms are very hard for hedgehogs to digest and can cause bowel obstructions and other GI issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked his potty right after he pooped there, and yes there is blood. Not a lot though. Going to take him to the vet tmr, it'd be nice if I can get more info on blood in stool before going just for input sake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.