Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am currently working with a vet but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. My 2.5 year old hedgehog Libby had a poop with some blood and a mucus like substance on Wednesday 9/29. I watched her overnight and saw the same poop the next day. I scheduled an emergency appointment with the vet on Friday 10/1. Did took a sample for a fecal test and fecal culture. In the meantime, they gave her a steroid to help with any discomfort that would last 3 days, gave her fluids, and gave me a probiotic, antibiotic, and nutrient powder to mix with water if she stopped eating. I have been crossing my fingers that the fecal tests would come back positive and that it would be a simple fix of infection or parasite. I do get mice in my apartment so I was hoping it was something from that rather than the looming "C-word." Her results came in yesterday and they were all normal. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Thursday 10/7.

She hasn't been running on her wheel since Wednesday and I noticed a few days before the poop that she had been more "grumpy." She doesn't huff a lot but was doing it more than usual. I thought it was because we recently had a bath and she doesn't like them. We also know it's not the food since she has been on Blue Buffalo since the first day she had dry food. It is what the breeder gave her and I continued with it.

She did not eat much last night but had been eating alright until then. She sleeps a lot and is not exploring. Additionally, there are not a lot of poops and the ones there do have a little blood.

I'm hoping to hear some positive outcomes from other hedgie parents who may have had something similar. Or even negative outcomes and what your personal issue was. She's still young and I'm heartbroken thinking of the worst. I'm taking it day by day and giving her her favorite treats and love in the meantime. The vet is very knowledgeable so I feel like I am in good hands with them.

Attaching my little sweetheart here. I had to put my first hedgehog down in 2018 when she was 4.5 due to cancer and am praying we don't have to do that so soon with this little one.

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Sky Hand Domesticated hedgehog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
10/7/21 Update: Libby had her ultrasound. We should get results in a couple of days. They said they needed to give her a little extra sedation. I joked saying, "because she's a chubby girl" (she is much larger than my first! The photo here is her at 6 months old. She's much larger now!) The vet said it was actually because she was such a curious girl and didn't want to fall asleep. She wanted to explore 馃グ They also said they did not need to give her anything to help wake her up after the ultrasound. She woke up on her own, ate, and drank without an issue. I'm not very hopeful but full of love for this little trooper. I feel so bad that she's not feeling well and can't tell me if she's in pain.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update 10/11/21 Would still love to hear other's responses but figure I will update for anyone else in the future going through something similar 馃挄 We got the ultrasound results back and the news is better than I expected. She has inflammation in her intestines which they are pretty sure is either Gastric Lymphoma or IBD. To tell for sure, they would have to do a biopsy and refer her out to a clinic the vet has personally used for her pets. However, a biopsy on a little hedgehog would be a big procedure.

What my vet recommends is putting her on a steroid. She explained that the literature on Gastric Lymphoma is rare, however, in cats it is pretty relevant. With cats, she explained they can respond well with steroids and she is hopeful it would work for Libby. When I pick it up tomorrow I will list the name for future hedgehog parents. She is starting with a medium dosage. I will watch her for two weeks. If there is no negative reaction or change, we can increase it. If there are side effects, we can lower it.(EDIT: it is called Pediapred and we are starting at 0.15ml)

Additionally, my fear has been that Libby is in pain rather than discomfort. The vet explained the steroid would help with pain relief if she was in any.

The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine has been incredible if you need a vet in NYC! They made Libby a meme! http://instagr.am/p/CUvShXHFZ1g/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts