Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I found in my hedgies wheel, some runny poop. So I gave her some pumpkin which she coated herself with. That resulted in a bath. While she was in there she pooped more runny, mucousy poop and then i noticed that there was blood within the poop.

I took her to the vet first thing this morning and she put her out and examined her. She said she might have felt an abnormality in her stomach or kidney area, but wasn't positive. So we sent out a sample for a culture, but it's going to be 3-5 days not including the weekend, before we find out if there's infection in there. If it's not then the vet is leaning toward a tumor.

She's only a year and a few months old. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm in such a panic. I already have lost one hedgehog to uterine cancer, and I have one with a mass in her mouth right now. I'm so worried.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Did the vet start her on any antibiotics while you wait for test results? An ultrasound may also be helpful in determining if there is a mass or not as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She said she didn't want to start her on anything until she knew what we're dealing with. If it comes back that she doesn't have an infection, I'm going to go with the ultrasound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know it has been a while, but what ever happened? My 2.5 year old hedgehog is experiencing the same thing. Mucus-y blood in her poop. We did antibiotics and probiotics while her poop was tested. Her fecal culture came back negative. No parasites or bacteria. We did an ultrasound and I’m waiting with baited breath for the results. I’m very nervous and would love to hear what happened with your hedgie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts