Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hedgehog last weekend. I got him a 12" Wodent Wheel, 2 medium size ceramic bowls for food and water. I've been feeding him Hedgehog complete which the pet store recommended (http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Hedgehog_Complete.htm). I have a little corner wooden arch for him to sleep under and use carefresh bedding. Last night when I went to bed he was running on his wheel. When I went to check on him when I woke up this morning, I saw little spots of blood on the wheel and scattered drops leading to his water bowl. I got him up and checked him out as best as I could (He's still afraid of me so it's difficult to get a good look under him) and didn't see any signs of trauma or even blood on his fur. It looked like one of his paws was red but that's about it. Should I take him to the vet?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking he tore a nail too. The trail of blood went from the wheel to his water bowl, so I think he may have washed himself off in the bowl. Also, why the switch from the carefresh to a liner? He seems to like switching between lying under his log to burrowing under his wheel. I read that there is a slight chance of respiratory issues with the carefresh, but I've also heard the same thing is true for wood bedding as well. Should I get a liner and a hedgie bag for him to cozy up to instead?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave him a bath and finally was able to see what happened. Since I've got him he's been very scared of me and I haven't been able to get a good luck at his back paws because he never stretches out for me. When I gave him a bath he started freaking out and completely uncurled and I managed to get a good look at his back paws. His nails were extremely long in the back and it looked like one had broken off. I clipped all of them and he seems to be ok now. He ran on his wheel all night and there wasn't any blood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.