Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to try and cut a very long story short my hedgie Lilly who is around 4 years old now (I've had her for a year) wasn't seeming herself; off food and no energy. Took her to vets who couldn't see anything wrong but gave antibiotics just in case. She seemed to perk up and at least eat again. A few weeks later I noticed blood in her urine, so back to vets. Vet tested urine sample (from vets table woops Lilly!) deff blood in it. And reccomend ex taking blood to check for kidney problems , this procedure had to be done twice (due to useless vet clinic but that's another story) and eventually came back clear for kidney problems. Lilly is still urinating blood , only a pinkish tinge every other day or so but it seems like it may be uncomfortable for her to pee. Vet has now prescribed metacam (anti inflamatories) for an unspecified period of time as she thinks it might be cystitis and that Lilly is overweight. Now Lilly is overweight but not obese and we are slowly trying to work on this, in the meantime is metacam actually going to do anything to help? Or should I stop and go to another vet? Have also ordered some hills cd food to try and help with any urinary problems.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You probable will have to ask for a needle urine sample so you can know for sure what the problem is. Most cases in females with blood in urine is actually uterine and they need to be spay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I've been gathering as much from other posts. If by some tiny chance it wasn't uterine would the metacam help clear it up? I know given lillys age and weight spaying might be (too) risky :/ not to mention we've already spent a small fortune getting this far and with Christmas and a new baby on the way things are getting a bit tight. If it was uterine and we couldn't spay what would her prognosis be? Would she be in pain / likely to pass away because of this? :,( x

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies, what would be her best option if it was uterine? To give the spay a go despite age and weight? My poor little baby I just want her to be happy until her time comes and to make the right decisions for her, would be so much easier if they could talk! X

1 - 6 of 6 Posts