Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ziggy is a 9 month old male. He was already blind in one eye when I rescued him. About 2 months ago I came home to Ziggy's good eye outside of its socket and clawed to bits. I rushed him into the vet and the eye was non viable. We spent 5 days in and out of the vet trying different solutions finally settling on stitches. The stitches came out about a week ago on their own. His eye has shriveled up and looks about the same as the other non viable eye except that some extra tissue appeared to be growing over it. The vet said that it's just tissue and nothing to be concerned about. Today, when we got Zig out to play he had some obvious clear liquid covering the newest bad eye. It hadn't come out of his eye but was just resting on top. We cleaned it out made sure everything was clean for him.

My question is, is the clear liquid over the eye something to be concerned with? Has anyone else had this happen with an eye? Everything else seems to be fine. He hasn't had any changes bm or eating/drinking habits and he's just as active as always.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a hedgehog who has one eye. The other was lost before I even got him. It may seem like the liquid didn't come out of his eye, but it sounds like tearing to me, which is a protection. If he's acting normal, I would say he is probably okay but to keep in contact with your vet. My hedgie tears up a bit in the eye socket and he is fine.

I could be wrong about the tearing, so I would say to definitely keep in contact with your vet.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It's probably tearing. If the tear ducts remain after surgery, then there will still be tears. I'd be more concerned about the extra tissue you mention growing over it. A vet visit certainly would put your mind at ease or if there is a problem, get it corrected before it becomes a big issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have been to the vet for both eyes now with the tissue. It seems to be coming out of the corners of his eyes and wrapping towards the center. It's white in color. Dr. Z said it's nothing to be worried about and she's on the list of good vets in my area for exotics. I trust her opinion, but if you think I need to head to get a second opinion I'm willing to. Ziggy seems happy and healthy otherwise. Eating and drinking has stayed normal. I've even been monitoring it more closely as of late.

Do you think a second opinion is necessary?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts