Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my baby Winston out to play tonight and he was fine. He was playing in his washcloth and annointing then I noticed red on his mat. I thought maybe he got too excited annointing and had bit himself/scratched himself falling over. But when I picked him up I noticed his sheath (I don't know if this is the right word, but we use it with the horses) was bleeding. He had some blood on his belly too. So after a while of trying to fight an unhappy hedgie and wipe it gently, I got it clean. There was no noticable injury. So I held him a while and let him sleep. Then, when I went to put him back home, it was bloody again. I looked very closely and it seems the blood is coming from his private. I don't know if maybe he bit himself or what I should do. It's not a lot of blood, but it worries me. Any idea of what I should do, or put on him? I didn't want to chance Neosporin.

Also, he has been loosing a lot of quills. I don't think it's mites because he hasn't been itching. But he has tons of dandruff. I'm thinking it's probably the unusual cold and the dry air and plan to give him an oatmeal bath tomorrow.

Please help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've learned from the past few days that there are a huge variety of symptoms for mites. My little Rocko was diagnosed with mites from the vet today and he hasn't been itching at all either - just flakes, quill loss, and red skin around his ears and face. Some people report weight loss and activity decrease with mites while others report grouchiness. It really just depends on the hedgie, so you can't rule mites out just because there is no scratching. ;) I know, it's confusing!

That said, I would be pretty concerned about the bleeding too. It is possible that he has bitten or scratched his penis due to mites, but I think the best thing to do if there is unexplained bleeding is to see a vet ASAP. I know it's really miserable hearing that you should go to a vet, but there are a number of things that could cause it. What kind of bedding is he on? You said he was a baby.. Some young males can have problems with certain bedding, such as corn cob, getting stuck in their genitals and causing irritation/infection.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If it is just a tiny bit of blood, I would try to keep it clean and watch it. If it is a lot of blood, he needs to see a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What kind of bedding does he have? I believe shavings can irritate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

He was on Corn litter at the petstore I got him from and when he first came home. Now he is on a liner, but maybe it started when he was on the corn? He was up and about last night and ate his normal amount. I'm going to give him a bath later and check him again.

I have a friend who's a vet tech so she was planning to do a scrape and check for the mites, but in the meantime, I am going to try the oatmeal bath.

I'm really hoping it was just a one-time thing and he's okay. If not, looks like he's going to see the doctor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts