Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been noticing one of Ed's toes was swollen with what appeared to be dried blood near his nail for a couple of weeks and kept an eye on it. I tried taking his wheel out to see if this improved swelling, but when I didn't see results, I took him to the vet.

He has been on an antibiotic (ampicillin) now for 5 days, and his toe almost looks worse. It seems there is fresh blood and his toenail might be broken? I'm guessing he must be biting at it, although I've never seen him actually do it.

I might also be paranoid, but he seems to be more subdued since I started giving him the antibiotic. It's cherry flavored and he seems to like it well enough, but I'm concerned. I'm also a little tight on money right now so I don't really want to take him back to the vet unless I absolutely have to. Should I wrap his foot? And if so, with what? Please help!!! :sad:

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
I suggest calling your veterinarian's office and ask to speak with the vet that saw her. Most vets I've worked with will talk to you over the phone and like to have updates on the hedgehog's condition (those that don't I don't go back to). Sometimes they will need to see the hedgehog, others they don't and can recommend additional things for you to do. I have even sent photos to mine via email for him to see the changes I'm describing before.

Sadly, there isn't much we can do to help as we haven't seen the toe. It would be a disservice to your hedgehog for us to attempt to do so.

Call your vet's office.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
***oops***

Oops. He is on amoxicillin, not ampicillin. Also, he is only about 3 months old so I have not had him for very long. I can post pictures if that helps any.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a hedgehog who gnaws his feet so that is definitely a possibility for how the injury occurred. That said, I've yet to see any type of infection develop on my end so I can't relate on that aspect. But I agree that there isn't much that can be done without the vet. Antibiotics may take a while to work. Especially if the infection has developed for some time as you described. Is your hedgie still putting pressure on the foot? Is it swollen? Is it oozing? All these are important tidbits that need to be shared with your vet. The infection may have developed into an abcess that needs to be drained. Ask your vet about Benadryl for swelling and how much to give, etc. Previous respondents are correct. A good vet worth his salt will converse with you about treatment and care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update- I took Ed back to the vet and she trimmed his toenail more and prescribed him an anti-inflammatory as well as a different antibiotic. His toe seems to be healing and he is happier than ever! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts