Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Chester had left little dark marks on his wheel- he has a giant solid plastic wheel. Since it is maroon, I couldn't see if it was blood but when I was washing it, I was certain there was blood. So I picked him up for an inspection and on each of his little feet were little poke marks like he had poked himself- they were tiny but there- one on each foot on different toe pads.
He has had dry skin but it is getting better (we switched to liners and I am working on a different diet for him- he is on Innova right now but since he is new to me still I didn't want to switch too much stuff around before he settled). Could he have scratched himself and poked his little feet?
One of them looked like it had been bleeding and this morning, I noticed he didn't get up to poop though he seems to have peed and he didn't use his wheel very much-- barely at all since he didn't have any poop on it-- only a bit of pee -- which isn't like him.
What should I do?
I keep reading conflicting information about how to treat it- hydrogen peroxide or no, antibacterial or no, neosporin or no neosporin. Can someone please advise a me a bit so I can treat him and know what to look for. I'm a little scared that he is not ok and one of the injuries is looking like it is leaning toward infection. I did bathe him last night really well but I didn't use soap- I never do since his skin has been so dry.
Please help.

Edited to change that he HAD used his wheel but not much-- there was no poop at all (very weird) only pee.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would make sure the feet are clean, then put neosporin on the sores. Make sure it is NOT noesporin with pain relief. Take out his wheel for a few days until the feet heal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much.
His feet look a bit better- I gave him another bath just trying to keep the feet (and he himself) clean.
I will put neosporin without pain reliever on it-- can I use a no name brand double or triple antibiotic ointment on the feet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts