Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clipped my hedgies nails last night and everything seemed fine. There was no bleeding or anything.

However when i got up this morning i noticed dried blood round one of his feet. I bathed his feet and 2 nails started to bleed ( i can't believe how careless i've been). It wasn't alot but i stopped the bleed and put henry back in his cage. i then noticed that where he had been scrathing his snuggle sack the was some dryed blood.

Im really worried, should i take him to a vet? He was on his wheel last night as i heard him a few times. Its too early to call one at the moment but if someone can get back to me soon i'd really appreciate it.

Oh, and believe me i feel guilty!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

The bleeding stopped, but have gone back to check on him and it looks like it started to bleed again whenever he tried to burrow to make his bed? Its dry and crusty around his foot

He's still seemed ok otherwise

Should i just leave the dried blood for a couple of days to help heal? Was going to leave him in his cage this evening as well because if i get him out he starts to burrow?

Im sure he'll be fine but need to know how best to help him as i don't want to keep opening up the bleed.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Perhaps it would be good to take the wheel out for the night, maybe give him like 1 hour or 2 on the wheel, then take it out for the rest of the night.

What you can also do, is exchange his burrowing bed for a bunch of fleece strips. That way, when he's scratching and digging, the strips give way, rather than giving a firm surface to scratch on.

You should keep his feet clean, so you can see any sign of infection. Just fill the sink with some water, put down a fleece blanket, and let him walk around. You can also put on regular strength (poly/neo)sporin. It MUST be regular strength.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, that fleece idea is brilliant, thanks! I was gonna take out the wheel but it was the burrowing i didn't know what to do about! He currently sleeps under his snuggle sack, but he trys to burrow his lining (which is soft covered vet bed), but if i pad it up with fleece im sure it will help.

Im sorry about my ignorance but what is regular strength (poly/neo)sporin? Is this something i should keep in case this happens again? (which im determined it won't!)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It's polysporin/neosporin. Either brand, depending on where you are. (poly up here in canada, neo down in the states).

It's just a basic antibacterial cream. ^_^ It's something you can have around for even YOUR own usual scrapes and injuries. Not something you necessarily have to buy specifically for your hedgie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts