Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My hedgehog is one that I can say that he would have trusted his life with me, so bonding isn't an issue here (as I've read in sticky thread).

Still, biting still, rarely, but happens - from two reasons, as I can say from my observations.

First one is my nails - he loves to pinch it given the opportunity. I don't use nail polish, but he still loves to bite it from time to time. And I can live with that one.

Second one however...

Today was the first time he bit me to blood (one, but harsh bite), and all it was caused by was me taking him on my lap when he was room exploring.

I've read that giving hedgie what he wants right after biting is not a good idea as it would've stronger the habit, and I never do. Still, habit remains.

What should I do to make my hedgehog stop using (not often, but still) his teeth as an tool of manipulation?

Or maybe I'm missing the whole picture and the reason (and solution) is somewhere else?

Please help, today's incident has showed me that the action is required...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I'm going to talk about the nail biting because it sounds like it's more a repeated issue. Solving the nail biting thing may in fact help you understand the bit bite you got.
First thing is check anything that comes into contact with your hands. You have soaps, your food, your hedgehogs food, you would be shocked at the things people touch without thinking about it. Then you wash your hands, soap. But think about really washing under your nails, how often does that happen? Ok so there is hey you smell good there or I think you taste good there.
Then think about what your doing with your hands and fingers before you get bit. That may be another clue.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Are you giving him the opportunity and allowing him to bite your nails? That may be a contributor to why you got such a nasty bite. You can't allow biting to become habitual. Even if the little bites seem harmless or even kind of cute, you just can't allow it to happen. Don't give him the chance to bite. The best thing to do is to keep your nails and skin away from his face. If he goes long enough without the chance to bite that may break the habit and hopefully he'll give up on it entirely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I did my best to keep my fingers (and nails in particular) away from his face not to let him bite.

But the other type of biting is getting out of control :(

He starts to bite (hard) for various reasons - that I didn't let him from my laps to the floor exploring, that I tried to gently take him back to viv after night of running around the room (he was sleepy, as always at the hour I wake him to take back).

He became very huffy for little reasons - touch, moving his house a little, taking on hands etc

I'm totally lost here :( my precious cuddler became grumpy biter and I don't know why. And it's too early for quilling...

Please help. ;(

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...r/100362-so-your-hedgehog-biter-now-what.html

That would be a good start if you hadn't already read it.

Now, you are probably giving your hedgehog more credit than he deserves. Highly unlikely that he is biting you out of manipulation. He is however possibly communicating to you in a way he hopes you understand. He has tried other ways, unfortunately humans aren't the best at speaking hedgehog. We also have a tendency to try and understand their actions in human terms, including assigning them human emotions.

You say he freaks out at the littlest things. Touch, at times he will be convinced you are touching him to put him in the pot so you can eat him, he is a prey animal.
Moving his house a little. You are probably referring to his hiding spot or his cage. Whatever room you are currently in, if the walls started moving and shaking wouldn't you start freaking out? The whole cage gets moved even a little, that's like a hedgehog earthquake.
Taking on hands, not sure what your referring to.
The point is, you say they are little reasons. To him it could be the end of the world.

Also did anything change that may have caused his change in behavior?

Another thing that gets harder to do for some of us when we experience this, checking your attitude at the door. When your stressed from your day and you have a biter you may not even be giving them the full chance to be calm because we are on edge. Think about when your stressed, you move different. When we are nervous we tend to shake a bit. That little bit of change that happens is only a little to us at human size.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you - your post opened my eyes on things I hadn't even considered.
I will read it carefully again and again.

The only change that comes to my mind that could've started this is our moving apartments three weeks ago. New scents probably aren't helping.

I will be more patient to him and his reactions. But what should I do in cases when he wants something through bite (or so I understood, maybe wrong) - like being let to the floor from my laps? I kept blocking his way when he tried to, and after several tries he bit strongly.

But still - thanks, it already helped.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Ok a move is a major event in a persons life. Seriously big for a hedgehog. Think about it, especially being a move to an apartment.
Most have thin walls and you hear what your neighbors are talking about. Same thin walls smells travel, especially if there is a common hallway. Different lighting could have an effect, did you know fluorescent bulbs make noise? Sounds from a different outside environment can also be a factor.
Do you have a play pen for him? If not maybe make a hedgehog fort. If he escapes he goes back to the fort with you in it. Sit there and chill with him. At 9 months old he is basically a teenager. He wants to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. If he wants to play on the floor, that's fine, but he can at the least play in the same area as you are in.
Another thing to look at is what is his cage like? Is he an active wheeler? Does he play with anything in the cage or is he basically a lump with quills in his cage. If he can't burn some energy in the cage it's no wonder he bites when he is out. He has all that energy and wants to play. I'm not saying that is the case but it's worth looking into.
Also when he goes out, are you trying to get him to cuddle before he plays? Bring a snuggle sack into the hedgehog fort or playpen, sit on the ground with him. If he wants to play let him play. He needs to do so. But once he has played a bit, he might opt to go for a cuddle in the sack. Then it's on his terms and he feels like he has a say. You can always pick up the bag and let him cuddle in the bag on your lap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for help. I gave him more space, more patience, let him get to know the new situation, and it did wonders - no more bites, hedgie is peaceful and trusting again.
We spend a lot of time in his play pen, he runs around me and pokes me with his nose.
My little boy is back.
Thank you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts